Aloo Chaat Recipe, How to prepare Aloo Chaat? What are the ingredients used?
Aloo Chaat Recipe
Aloo chaat or Alu chaat is one of a very common street dish served across Northern India and Pakistan. Sliced Potatoes fried in oil mixed with various spice powders and chutneys gives you the traditionally popular Aloo chaat dish. People usually serve this as an evening snack, a side dish or as a light meal. In Hindi, potatoes are known as “aloo” and the word “ chaat” means tasting. The preparation is much easier when compared to other snack varieties and its bursting flavour comes with the use of long list of spices. People who are conscious of losing their weight can also enjoy this chaat by baking the potatoes instead of frying. Have a look at the detailed list of ingredients used and the preparation of Aloo chaat.
- 2 medium sized Potatoes / Aloo
- ¼ cup of finely chopped Cilantro / Coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons of Oil
- Salt as per the taste ( 1 teaspoon )
- 1 tablespoon of finely sliced Ginger
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped green chillies (as per your taste)
- 2 teaspoons of fresh Lemon juice
Chaat Masala Ingredients or Spice Mix
- 1 teaspoon of Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ teaspoon of Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of roasted Cumin seeds powder / Bhuna jeera
- 1 teaspoon of Mango powder / Amchoor
- A pinch of Asafetida powder/ Kayam
- 1 teaspoon of Black salt
- Sugar, 2 teaspoons
- ½ teaspoon of Ginger powder
- Take a bowl and mix all the chaat masala ingredients, keep it aside.
- Wash the potatoes in water and parboil them in a pressure cooker. Cook it for 2-3 whistles, such as the potatoes are cooked and remain firm.
- Now, remove the light brown coloured skin and slice each potato into medium sized cubes.
- In a medium flame, heat the flat frying pan and add some oil.
- Place the potato pieces onto the frying pan and sprinkle some salt over it.
- Stir fry the potato pieces and turn them occasionally. Fry it to a golden light brown colour. This would normally take you 7-11 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and sprinkle the ginger pieces, chopped cilantro and green chillies. Also, add the lemon juice and 1½ tablespoons of spice mix.
- Mix it well and make sure that the potatoes are coated well.
- Taste one of the pieces and add more spice mix according to your taste.
- Serve this hot Aloo chaat.