Chakka ulathiyathu or Raw jackfruit stir fry
Chakka ulathiyathu or Raw jackfruit stir fry is a traditional recipe mostly popular among the village areas of Kerala.
Chakka ulathiyathu or Raw jackfruit stir fry – served as a side dish for rice. Matured raw jackfruits are used for the preparation of this stir-fried recipe. Spicy flavour is provided with the addition of dried red chillies. The use of turmeric powder imparts a light yellow colour. Also, the inclusion of shallots and curry leaves adds up the natural taste. As in the case of other stir fry recipes, small amounts of mustard seeds are also used. Let’s have a detailed look the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Chakka ulathiyathu or jackfruit stir fry.
Ingredients used for making Chakka Ulathiyathu or Jackfruit Stir fry
- 3 medium sized cup of raw jackfruit (chopped to small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 cup of water
- 9-10 shallots (sliced to small pieces)
- 4-5 dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Cooking oil as per the requirement
- Salt for the taste
Good quality jackfruit products, spices, nuts varieties, dry fruits etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Chakka Ulathiyathu or Jackfruit stir fry
- Cut the jackfruit into medium sized pieces and take out the edible jackfruit bulbs.
- Remove the seeds from each of these bulbs and chop it into small pieces.
- Take a pressure cooker and add the jackfruit pieces, turmeric powder and water.
- Heat it over a medium flame for up to 2 whistles.
- Once it is cooked, take it off from the flame. When the pressure is reduced, take off the weight and open the lid of the cooker.
- Crush the shallots and dried red chillies in a mixer.
- Heat a frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and saute for few seconds.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves and the crushed mixture of shallots and red chillies.
- Saute it for few minutes and once it attains a light brown texture, add the cooked jackfruit pieces and mix it well.
- Stir fry the contents for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the recipe is ready, switch off the flame and transfer the dish to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with rice.