Chillies as food,spice and medicine – whole lot of fragrance and flavour to Indian cuisine
Chillies as food,spice and medicine Botanical name: Capsicum annuum Botanical Family: Solanaceae
How Chilly is good?
Chilies are deceptively beautiful. Their taste ranges from mild to dynamite. While they scorch your taste buds, they also blend a little heat and a whole lot of fragrance and flavour to Indian cuisine. They add the zing to Indian cooking. Chillies are available fresh, dried, powdered, flaked in oil, in sauce, bottled and pickled. The fresh ones (when unripe) come in various shades of green. The ripe ones are red. When dried, they look like crumpled rubies.
Red chillies : This spice is used extensively in Indian savoury preparation. It also forms an important ingredient in curry powders. Red chillies are also used in several medicinal preparation for the treatment of lumbago,neuralgia, an rheumatism
The heat that chillies add to dish comes from a compound called capsaicin, which is known to relieve the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis. Capsaicin also appears to block production of cancerous cells in prostate cancer, and to act as an anticoagulant to help protect against blood clots that can cause heart attacks or strokes. Red chillies also contain high levels of carotenes. Chilli consumption also helps lower the amount of insulin required to lower blood sugar after a meal and thus could be of help to diabetics and people with insulin resistance. Chillies may also increase the metabolic rate slightly, which could help with weight loss
Chillies are high in Vitamin A & C. – Chilly medicinal values,health benefits and culinary uses
- Chilli-in cooking:- It contributes varying degree of pungency and colour to food products. It can be used in all dishes that call for a pungent taste, like hot sauces, chilli concarne, soups, spaghettic, pizza, chicken, fish, vegetable dishes, pickles, meats, curries, baked goods and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Chilli as a medicine:-They are also added to medicines to relieve sore throat. Capsicum preparations are used as counterirritants for lumbago and rheumatic disorders. In medicine, it finds application as counterirritant and carminative. Chillies may prevent: cancer, heart disease, stroke, blood clots, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, bronchitis, emphysema, coughs and colds and stomach ulcer. Chillies are said to be good for kidneys,spleen, lungs and heart.
- Chilli also provides a good blood circulation in our body and thus it decreases the diseases which is caused due to poor blood circulation.
- Chillies increase heart action without raising blood pressure. They also prevent blood platelet aggregation and this reduces risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Help lower ‘bad’cholesterol and reduce risk of blood clots
- Chillies also act as an internal disinfectant — it can detoxify the colon and help with eliminative functions.
- Chillies stimulate the secretion of saliva and gastric juices and act as a digestive aid, especially when taken with meals.
- Rich in vitamin C and carotene to boost the immune system
Chilies – (Fresh,dried ,powdered forms ) can be available year around in the market . Chillies dried or powdered buy from reliable stores. Try to choose home made curry powders,because processed spices powder causes adulteration.Buy organic whenever possible -A Perfect Blend of Pure Spices is available NatureLoc. Dried chilly peppers and chilli powders should be kept in a dark,airtight jar
Did you know – Chillies are said to improve psoriasis an shingles when topically applied in a cream
Read more about spices from chillies and impressive notes healthy spices,herbs with detailed illustrations of their health benefits,medicinal properties and values,role in treatments – home remedies,piratical tips to purchase spices and nuts etc