How to make bilimbi pickle? (chilimpikka or Irumban puli achar)
In village areas of southern India bilimbi’s are used to make various delicious dishes. In Kerala bilimbi’s are known by the name Irumban puli or Chilimpikka.
Here we discuss the preparation of one of the recipe called bilimbi pickle or irumban puli achar. This tasty and mouth-watering pickle made of bilimbi has a delicious sour taste. Bilimbi is very widely grown in the village areas of kerala. Bilimbi fruit is very much known for the presence of vitamin C. Bilimbi pickle is best when served with Kerala rice or rice soup. The sour taste of bilimbi fruits and the heat of the spices used can help in giving a delicious taste. These pickles can be stored in air tight bottles for up to 2 or 3 months.
Ingredients required for the preparation of bilimbi pickle
- Bilimbi (Irumban puli)-30
- Red chilli powder- 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida powder-1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek powder-1/4 tsp
- Green chillies-3
- Water- 1/4 cup
- Mustard- 1/4 tsp
- Dried red chillies- 3
- Curry leaves- 10
- Sesame oil (Nallenna)- 4 tbsp
Method of preparation of bilimbi pickle
- Wash the bilimbi fruits and cut both ends
- Cut each bilimbi vertically in to 2 equal parts
- Vertically chop the green chillies in to 2 pieces.
- Heat the turmeric powder, chilli powder, fenugreek powder and asafoetida powder in a cooking pan for few seconds.
- Heat the sesame oil and add few mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add curry leaves and red chillies and fry it for two minutes.
- Now add the bilimbi pieces, salt and green chillies in to it and fry it until the bilimbi fruits get sauteed
- Add the fried mixture of turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, red chilli powder and fenugreek powder to it and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to it. Once the water gets boiled well, remove from the flame keep it get cold.
- Once cooled it is ready for use. Move the pickle to air tight containers. It can be stored for 2 to 3 months. The bottle used for keeping the pickle should be dry and the presence of water inside the bottle will spoil the pickle.