How to make Mutton Chatti pathiri/Atti pathal/Atti pathiri?
Mutton Chatti pathiri is a kind of Chatti pathiri recipe filled with boneless spicy mutton preparation.
Chatti pathiri is a layered pastry made of rice dough, mostly popular among the Muslim community in Malabar region of Kerala. It is also called by different names like Atti pathal or Atti pathiri. Chatti pathiri can be filled with sweet as well as savoury variations. Mutton Chatti pathiri or Atti pathal is prepared by filling the Atti pathiri with a spicy filling made from boneless mutton. These food varieties were commonly prepared during the Iftars during the Ramadan season and also for special occasions like weddings. Delicious Atti pathal recipe is prepared with the process of steaming. Soft and yummy mutton Atti pathal has a unique taste and intriguing aroma. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of this soft and spicy recipe.
Ingredients required for making Mutton Atti pathal/Chatti Pathiri/ Atti pathiri
- 300gm of boneless mutton (Chopped to small pieces)
- Parboiled and white rice dough
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala powder
- Salt for the taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper powder
- 3 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon of garlic
- 1 or 2 medium-sized onions (chopped to small pieces)
- 2 teaspoon of ginger
- 2 or 3 green chilli (sliced to pieces)
- A sprig of curry leaves
Method of preparation of Mutton Chatti pathiri or Atti Pathal
- Heat some oil in a pan and add garlic, finely chopped ginger, curry leaves and split green chillies.
- Saute it for some time and add the chopped onion pieces.
- Stir it well and add the salt as per the requirement.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and pepper powder.
- Saute it for few seconds and add the chopped mutton pieces. Saute them well.
- Once it is ready, turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- For making the rice dough, soak both the parboiled (partly boiled) and white rice for 2 to 3 hours.
- Now drain them and grind it by adding small amounts of water.
- Meanwhile, take out one plantain leaf and cut it to get square shaped medium sized pieces.
- Take out a ball shaped dough and paste it on the oily side of one of the square shaped leaf piece to form a circular disc-shaped pathiri.
- Make two more of these pathiris on square shaped plantain leaf pieces and keep it aside.
- Take out some mutton fillings and keep it on one of the disc-shaped rice dough.
- Take out another disc-shaped rice dough and sandwich it with the previous one.
- Now, again take some spicy mutton filling and spread it on the sandwiched rice dough.
- Take out the third disc-shaped rice dough and sandwich it with the above.
- Seal the sides and edges with the dough and keep this in between a piece of plantain leaf.
- Keep it for steaming and once it is ready, take out from the heat and keep it on a serving plate.
- Cut it to small pieces and serve this delicious recipe.