How to make sweet and delicious Kozhukatta ?
Kozhukatta is a traditional sweet recipe from Kerala. This delicious dish is popular as an evening snack or as a breakfast recipe.
Kozhukattas are steamed rice flour dumplings filled with a mixture of grated coconut and jaggery. Rice flour, jaggery and grated coconut are the essential ingredients required for the preparation of this yummy dish. Kozhukatta preparation is easy and it wouldn’t take much of your time. Crushed cardamom seeds impart a real taste and natural aroma. The presence of jaggery is responsible for a sweet taste. The dough preparation for kozhukatta is exactly similar to that of an another breakfast recipe called idiyappam. Kids love this dish for its slimy sweet taste. Let’s try this delicious recipe and have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation.
Ingredients required for making Kozhukatta
For the preparation of rice dumplings
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1¼ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- Salt as per the taste
For the filling
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- ¾ cup of grated jaggery ( Instead of jaggery, sugar can be added for a sweet taste)
- 2 teaspoon of oil
- ¼ teaspoon powdered jeera (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon of powdered cardamom seeds
Method of preparation of Kozhukatta
Preparation of the filling
- Heat a thick bottomed pan in a medium flame and add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Add the grated jaggery. Continue the heating and once the jaggery completely melts, take it away from the pan.
- Strain the jaggery to remove the sand and the dust particles.
- Heat the strained jaggery juice in a pan. The flame should be kept at a low range.
- Heat the solution to a boil and add the grated coconut and powdered cardamom seeds.
- Continuously stir the solution so that the mixture grated coconut and the jaggery forms a roll like a ball without sticking to the sides of the pan.
- Take it out from the heat and keep it for cooling. Take out small portions and roll it to form small, ball-like shape and keep it aside.
Preparation of kozhukatta maavu
- Heat 1¼ cup of water in a vessel along with a teaspoon of oil, add the salt as per the taste.
- Add the rice flour and continuously stir the mixture with the back of a ladle.
- Stir it well to reduce the formation of lumps.
- Cook on a low flame for about 5 minutes, frequently stir the mixture.
- Turn off the heat and keep it for cooling. Keep beside a bowl of warm water mixed with 1 or 2 teaspoon of oil.
- Once the heat of the rice flour mixture is reduced, dip your hand in the warm water containing oil and take out small portions from the rice flour mixture and form smooth doughs. Continue this process until all of the rice
- flour mixture is made into small doughs.
Final steps for the preparation of Kozhukatta
- Grease your palm with some oil, take out each dough balls and press it in the middle to form a cup-like shape.
- Add the fillings which are made in the form of balls and close the sides of the dough gently in all the sides.
- Grease the idli plates with some oil and place the kozhukkatta doughs in it.
- Steam the kozhukkattas in the idli cooker for about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool off. Gently take out the kozhikotta from the cooker and serve it as an evening snack or a breakfast dish.