Kovakka Mezhukkupuratti or Ivy gourd fry
Kovakka Mezhukkupuratti or Ivy gourd fry is a one of a tasty recipe used as a side dish for boiled rice.
Kovakka is the Malayalam word for Ivy gourd or Tindora. Kovakka Mezhukkupuratti or Ivy gourd fry is a tasty dish of Kerala. Kovakka or Ivy guard is known for the presence of nutritious elements like vitamins, proteins and fibres. It will also strengthen our bone and improves body shape. Stir fried Ivy gourd or Tindora has a greenish brown colour. Green chillies and red chilli powder is added for a spicy taste. Sliced coconut pieces will increase the taste and provide a crunchy experience. Coconut oil or any other cooking oil can be used for making Ivy gourd fry. The ingredients required and the method of preparation are explained below.
Ingredients required for making Kovakka Mezhukkupuratti or Ivy gourd fry
- 2 cups of sliced Kovakka/Ivy gourd/Tindora
- 1-2 green chillies (slit to two pieces)
- 4-5 sliced shallots
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1-2 tablespoon of sliced coconut pieces.
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Coconut oil as per the requirement
- Salt for taste
Method of preparation of Kovakka Mezhukkupuratti or Ivy gourd fry
- Wash the Kovakka or Ivy gourd in running water and slice them into small circular pieces.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds splutter, add the kovakka or tindora pieces, green chillies, shallots, curry leaves and coconut pieces. Keep the flame in low medium range.
- Cover the lid of the pan and cook for 10 minutes. In between open the lid and stir contents for 3-4 times.
- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt for taste.
- Mix the cotents and saute them on medium flame for about 8-9 minutes. In between stir the contents regularly.
- Once the contents are turned to a dark brown colour, turn off the flame and transfer the contents to a serving bowl.
- Serve it with rice.