Nenthrakaya Kalan -Banana Chips-(Ethakka varuthathu) Onam sadya recipes
Nenthrakaya Kalan -Banana Chips-(Ethakka varuthathu) ഏത്തക്കായ വറുത്ത് Onam sadya recipes -ഓണം സദ്യ വിഭവങ്ങൾ (onam sadya vibhavangal)
It is that time of the year again when Malayees look forward to celebrate Onam-the mother of all festivals in Kerala. Try these easy to make recipes….
Nenthrakaya Kalan (നേന്ത്രകായ കാളന)Unripe Plantain Curry with Curd and Coconut
Unripe Plantain Curry with Curd and Coconut
This preparation is one of the eight dishes served at feasts. It is a delicate and difficult dish to make because the coconut has to be ground to an extra fine paste. (The fun fact )The traditional test was to throw a spoonful of the coconut paste at a smooth wall-it should not slide off but stick to the wall. A week made kalan can keep for a week or so without refrigeration
- Unripe plantains (ചെനച്ച ഏത്തക്കായ) – 2 Nos
- Shallots chopped (ചുവന്നുള്ളി) -4
- Green chillies chopped (പച്ച മുളക്) – 2 Nos
- Black Pepper Powder (കുരുമുളക് പൊടി)– ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder (മുളക് പൊടി)– 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞൾ പൊടി) – ½ tsp
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – 1 ½ tsp
- Thick curd (പുളിയില്ലാത്ത കട്ടി തൈര്)– 2 cups (not very sour) whisked
Ground to an extra fine paste
- 1 medium –sized, fresh coconut, grated (തേങ്ങ ചിരവിയത്)
- 2 shallots chopped (ചുവന്നുള്ളി)
- A pinch of cumin powder (ജീരകം)
- 1 ½ cups of water (വെള്ളം)
- Coconut Oil -1 ½ tsp (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ)
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp (കടുക്)
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp (ഉലുവ)
- Shallots chopped -2 (ചുവന്നുള്ളി)
- Curry leaves – 2 stalks (കറിവേപ്പില)
- Peel the plantains,slit lengthwise and cut into 1 cm cubes
- Place plantains in a pan with shallots,green chillies,spice powders,salt and 1/4 cup water,and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes
- Stir in curd and simmer for 5 minutes
- Mix in coconut paste and simmer over low heat till gravy thickens
- Heat oil for tempering in small pan and sprinkle in mustard seeds. When they start sputtering,add remaining ingredients and fry till shallots turn brown
- pour contents of pat into curry,mix well and serve
- Kalan can also made with elephant foot yam
Banana Chips/Ethakka varuthathu
- Nendran Banana/ Ethakka, well matured- 4 medium sized
- Salt- to taste
Oil, to fry- 2 cups
- Select raw nendran banana which are well mature the peel stats to get light yellow shade. If you peel them it will be mild pink colour.
- Give a shallow cut using a knife from top to bottom on the peel and remove the peel with knife or hand. Well matured banana you can peel easily.
- In a bowl add turmeric and water and mix well. Keep the peeled bananas immersed in that turmeric water till you make ready other things to chop and fry for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the bananas from water and pat dry to remove excess water.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat once it becomes hot reduce the flame and start frying the chips.
- Using a carrot grater’s long blade attachment slice the banana by holding the blade in left and run the banana held on right hand.
- You can grate them directly on top of oil and fry them like how they do in shops
- Fry the chips by constant stirring to fry the whole batch evenly.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt in 3 tablespoons of water. When the chips becomes half fried sprinkle little salt water over the oil.
- Fry them till it becomes crispy and light. You can hear the fried chips crispy sound while frying.
- Remove them fry oil and transfer into newspaper or paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Store the crunchy chips in airtight containers.