Potato masala recipe
Potato masala recipe
Potato masala is a tasty recipe which is usually served as a side dish for poori / puri. As we all know, poori and potato masala is one of a traditional recipe combination which do not need any introduction. The use of turmeric powder gives away a greenish yellow colour. Mushy tomatoes, green chillies, ginger and asafoetida are the essential ingredients used in this recipe. Few sprigs of curry leaves are also used for a natural aroma. Have a look at the list of ingredients used and the method of preparation of Potato masala or Poori masala.
Ingredients used for making Potato masala
- 3 medium sized Potatoes
- 2-3 medium sized Onions (sliced to fine pieces)
- A pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
- 3-4 Green chillies (slice to small pieces)
- 1-inch Ginger piece (chopped to fine pieces)
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon of Besan flour / Kadala mavu
- Salt for the taste
- 1 tablespoon of Cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon of Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon of Chana dal / Kadalai paruppu / Split Bengal gram
- 1 tablespoon of Urad dal / Split black gram / Uzhunnu parippu
- 1-2 sprigs of curry leaves
Preparation of Potato masala
- Wash the potatoes in clean water and cut them into 3-4 pieces.
- Pressure cook the potato pieces along with a pinch of turmeric powder and water so that the potato pieces remains immersed in water.
- Cook it for 4-5 whistles in a high flame. Once it is cooked, switch off the flame and keep the cooker aside for 10-15 minutes.
- When the pressure is reduced, take out the potato pieces and peel off its skin. Mash it roughly into medium sized pieces. Keep it aside.
- Now, add ¼ cup of water to the besan flour / Kadala mavu, mix it to form a solution.
- Heat some oil in kadai, add the mustard seeds and once it splutters, add the onion pieces, chopped green chillies, ginger pieces and curry leaves.
- Saute it till the onions attain a transparent texture and add 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida / hing / kayam. Heat it to a boil.
- Now add the cooked potato pieces and besan flour solution.
- Boil it for few minutes or until the onion pieces are cooked well and the masala attains a semi-solid consistency.
- Switch off the flame and add some freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Potato masala is ready, serve it with hot puri or poori.