Preparation of delicious Pumkin / Mathanga Erissery
Preparation of delicious Pumpkin / Mathanga Erissery
Pumkin / Mathanga erissery is one of a commonly served recipe during Onam Sadya. In some parts of Kerala, it is called by the name ‘elissery’. Sliced pumpkin pieces, cow Peas and grated coconut are some of the other ingredients used in this recipe. Red chilli powder and the green chillies are used for a spicy flavour. Pumpkin erissery goes well with steamed rice.
Ingredients used in Pumpkin / Mathanga Erissery
- 1½ cups of chopped pumpkin pieces
- 1½ cups of red or white cowpeas/Nadan Payar
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon of chilli powder
- Salt for the taste
For making coconut paste
- ¾ cup of freshly grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1-2 sprigs of curry leaves
- A pinch of mustard seeds
- 1-2 deseeded dry red chillies
- 2-3 tablespoon of grated coconut
- 1½ tablespoon of coconut oil
Method of preparation of Pumpkin / Mathanga Erissery
- Wash the cowpeas in water and pressure cook it with 2 cups of water and some salt.
- Drain and keep the cooked cowpeas aside.
- Wash the pumpkin and chop it into cube sized pieces.
- Grind a mixture of grated coconut, green chilli and cumin seeds and keep it aside.
- Heat the pumpkin pieces in a pan along with 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt on a low-medium flame.
- Cover the lid of the pan and cook it for 15 minutes or more. Pour some water as per the requirement.
- When it is cooked, add the grounded coconut mixture and the cooked cowpeas.
- If the consistency is more, add ½ cup of water and simmer it for another 10- 12 minutes.
- Once the flavours are blended well, take if off from the flame and keep it aside.
- Now prepare the tempering, heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Saute it for some time and add the coconut pieces, continue sauteing till the coconut attains a golden colour.
- Once the coconut attains an evenly brown texture, pour this content into the prepared pumpkin recipe.
- Stir it well and serve this Pumpkin / Mathanga Erissery with rice.