Preparation of Simple Uttapam / Oothappam
Uttapam or Uthappa is a thick pancake having chopped vegetables as toppings.
Uttapam is a traditional recipe popular among the people from South India. Idli or dosa batter is traditionally used for making this dish. Preparation of this breakfast recipe is a long and time-consuming process. Instant and easy uttapam preparations make use of bread flour as an ingredient. Spicy coconut chutney is usually served as a side dish. Have a look at the ingredients used and the preparation of simple Uttapam.
Ingredients used for making Uttapam
- 1-2 cup idli or dosa batter
- Salt for the taste
- Oil for cooking
- 1 medium sized onion (chopped to small pieces)
- 2-3 green chillies (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 medium sized tomato (chopped to small pieces)
- 3-4 coriander leaves (chopped to small pieces)
Preparation of simple Uttapam recipe
- Heat a tawa or a flat dosa pan, spread some oil over the top.
- When it is really hot, sprinkle some water over the hot pan.
- Now, pour 1 cup of batter and spread it to a thick circular dosa shape.
- Once the edges starts browning pour a tail of oil around it.
- Sprinkle some chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and green chillies.
- Use a flat ladle and turn it over as the other side also gets cooked.
- Once it is ready, serve it with spicy coconut chutney