Preparation of soft and spicy Upma
Upma is a very well known south Indian breakfast recipe, used extensively in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
It is easy to make this healthy and delicious recipe. Roasted rava or semolina is used for the preparation of Upma. The balance between the amount of water and the quantity of rava will determine the softness of this recipe. In this Kerala style Upma, equal amount of water and roasted rava should be taken to get the softness as well as the dryness. The addition of turmeric powder will provide a light yellow colour. It would take about 15 to 20 minutes for making this delicious spicy breakfast recipe. It can be served with banana, chutney or sugar. Spicy flavour is due to the addition of green chillies. Ginger along with curry leaves and shallots gives a unique aroma.
Ingredients for making Upma
- 1 cup of rava (semolina).
- 3 to 4 finely sliced shallots (ulli)
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of urad dal (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon of finely chopped ginger
- 2 or 3 sliced green chillies
- 2 table of coconut oil
- A pinch of turmeric powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon of coconut flakes (optional)
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 cup of water
- Salt (as per the requirement)
Method of preparation
- Heat the rava in a frying pan. Fry it to a slightly light brown colour. Stir it continuously while frying.
- Once the rava is adequately fried take it from the pan and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of coconut oil in pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter add shallots, green chillies, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute it until the shallots get a light brown colour.
- Add chopped ginger and saute it for few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water, turmeric powder and salt, allow it to boil.
- Add fried rava into this boiling water. While adding the rava, it should be stirred continuously to avoid lumps formation.
- Add the coconut flakes and mix everything well.
- Cover it up with a lid and cook it for few minutes.
- If the upma feels dry, sprinkle 2 or 3 tablespoon of water and close the lid for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Take out from the flame and serve it with ripe banana, chutney or sugar.