Sambaram or Spiced Buttemilk
Sambaram or spiced buttermilk is a light and refreshing thirst quencher from Kerala.
On a hot day, if you are looking for an easy, refreshing thirst quencher, you have found the right choice. Sambaram is an easy refreshner and it would only take 5 minutes for its preparation. Buttermilk, sliced green chillies, chopped ginger and curry leaves are the essential ingredients used in this drink. As all of you knows, buttermilk is an excellent hydrating and refreshing agent. The use of green chillies imparts a spicy flavour. Freshly chopped or crushed ginger pieces would give away a nutritious taste. If you are using thick buttermilk, more water is required to get a diluted solution. Apart from all these ingredients, one or two crushed shallots can also be added to have a refreshing taste. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of traditional spiced buttermilk or Sambaram.
Ingredients used in Sambaram or spiced buttermilk
- 2 cup of thick curd or yoghurt
- 1 cup of water
- 1-2 sliced green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of chopped ginger piece
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt as per the taste.
Good quality spices, nuts varieties, dry fruits, jackfruit products etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Sambaram or spiced buttermilk
- Take 2 cups of thick curd in a mixing bowl and whisk it thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup of cold water and once again whisk the solution.
- Now, add the sliced green chillies, chopped or crushed ginger piece and curry leaves.
- Stir the mixture and add some salt for the taste. Stir it once again.
- Transfer it to serving glass and have it as a refreshner.