Semiya payasam or Vermicelli Payasam
Semiya payasam is known to be the easiest among the payasam recipes.
Out of many payasam varieties popular in Kerala, semiya payasam is the one which can be prepared easily. It takes only 20 minutes for the preparation of this sweet recipe. Milk, semiya or vermicelli and sugar are the essential ingredients required for making this dish. Including the ghee provides a natural aroma and creamy taste. The real taste comes with the addition of crushed cardamom seeds. The presence of fried cashew nuts and raisins imparts a delicious flavour. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of this sweet recipe.
Ingredients required for the preparation of Semiya payasam
- 1/2 cup of Semiya or Vermicelli
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoon of ghee
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 6-7 cashew nuts
- 1-2 tablespoon of raisins
- ¼ cup of water
- 4-5 crushed cardamom seeds
- A pinch of salt
Good quality natural spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Semiya payasam
- Place a frying pan on the flame and add some ghee. Add the cashew nuts and raisins and fry it to a golden brown colour, take it out from the heat and keep it aside.
- Once the contents are fried and fluffy, take it out from the pan and keep it aside.
- Heat some ghee in a frying pan and add the Semiya or Vermicelli for frying.
- Constantly stir the contents of the pan and once the semiya is fried to a light golden colour, take it out from the flame and keep it aside.
- In another vessel boil the milk and water, add the dry roasted semiya or vermicelli and heat the mixture.
- Continue the boiling and once the vermicelli get soft, add the sugar and simmer it so that the milk becomes slightly thick
- Once the milk gets thick, add the fried cashew nuts and raisins. Also add the crushed cardamom seeds and take it away from the flame.
- Serve it hot or cold.