Spicy and delicious Chicken curry (Nadan Kozhy curry)
Chicken curry is one of the main non-veg recipes in Kerala. People love this food for its taste. The spicy ingredients would make it a delicious dish to savour.
In Kerala, this recipe is usually called as ‘Nadan kozhi curry’. It’s normally used as a side dish with rice, chappati, appam, Parotta, dosa and tapioca. Addition of red chili powder and coriander powder will give a yellowish brown colour. The credit for a unique taste and distinctive aroma should go to the peculiar combination of spices in the recipe. You can increase the gravy with the addition of grated coconut milk. Chicken curry can be prepared in many ways, as we move from place to place we could experience the difference in spice combinations and unique ways of making this recipe. Let’s have a look at the ingredients used for making this spicy and aromatic recipe.
Ingredients required for marination
- ½ kilogram of chicken
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for making a dry roast
- 2 cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks (each with 2 inches in length)
- 2 pods of Cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium sized red chilli
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon of Black pepper
Ingredients required for making a gravy
- 2 pieces of ginger
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2-3 dry red chillies
- 1 onion (sliced into small pieces)
- 1 cup of thick coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Salt ( as per your requirement)
High-quality spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces and marinate it with the ingredients mentioned above. Keep it for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the ingredients for making the roast in a deep frying pan. Dry roast the ingredients to a slight brown colour.
- Take the contents away from the flame. Once it cools, grind it to a powdered form and keep it aside.
- Grind the ginger and garlic to form a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat some oil in a Kadai or pan. Once the oil becomes hot, add some mustard seeds. When it splutters, add dried red chillies and fry it for a minute.
- Add the finely sliced onions and saute it for few minutes. Once the onion becomes
soft add the ginger garlic paste.
- When the raw smell disappears add the marinated chicken pieces and some water. Cook it in a medium flame.
- Once the chicken is half cooked, add the prepared ground powder and mix it well.
- Close the lid of the pan and continue the cooking in a medium flame.
- Add the coconut milk and cook till the gravy becomes thick.
- If the gravy becomes too thick you can make it loose by adding some water. Once it is cooked, take out from the flame.
- Heat some coconut oil in a small pan and add the curry leaves. One it is fried in a medium range, take out from the heat and add it with the prepared curry. This will help in enhancing the flavour.
- It can be served with any of the dishes like rice, chappati, appam tapioca and dosa.