Sukhiyan or Green gram snack
Sukhiyan or Green gram snack is an evening snack recipe with a delicious sweet taste.
Sukhiyan or Green gram snack is one of a deep fried recipe with yellow colour. Green gram/ Cherupayar, Jaggery and All purpose flour/Maida are the essential ingredients used for the preparation of this recipe. The presence of jaggery imparts a sweet taste and the use of turmeric powder gives yellow colour. Grated coconut is also added for an improved flavour. Crushed cardamom seeds give a natural taste. Coconut oil is used for frying. Have a look at the detailed description on the method of preparation of Sukhiyan or Green gram snack.
Ingredients used for making Sukhiyan or Green gram snack
- 2 cups of Green gram or Cherupayar
- 1½ cup of grated jaggery/ Sharkkara
- 1 cup of All-purpose flour/ Maida
- ½ cup of freshly grated coconut
- ¼ teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 2½ cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Salt for the taste
- 3 cups Coconut oil for frying
Good quality spices, dry fruits, nuts varieties, jackfruit products etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Sukhiyan or Green gram snack
- Wash the Green gram/Cherupayar in clean water and soak this in water for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water and transfer the Green gram/ Cherupayar to a pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook the green gram with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Wait for 2 whistles, take the cooker away from the flame. Once the pressure is reduced, take off the lid and cook the green gram till the whole of water is dried off.
- Heat the jaggery in a pan with 1/4 cup of water. Once it melts to form a dark brown coloured solution, strain the solution with a fine strainer.
- Heat the jaggery solution for 5 minutes and add the grated coconut, crushed cardamom and mix it well.
- Add the cooked Green gram, mix it well and continue heating till the mixture is semi-dry.
- When it’s sufficiently dried, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Take out small portions from the mixture and roll it in the shape of small balls. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the contents like maida, turmeric powder, salt and 1/4 cup of water to form a semi-thick batter.
- Heat some coconut oil in a deep frying pan or Kadai. Dip each green gram ball in the batter and deep fry it to a golden brown colour.
- When it’s ready, take out from the pan and keep it on a kitchen tissue paper for draining excess oil.
- Sweet and tasty Sukhiyan is ready. Serve it with a cup of tea.