Sura Meen Puttu, Mashed shark fish recipe
Sura meen puttu, Mashed shark fish recipe
Sura meen puttu is one of a traditional fish recipe popular among the people from Tamil Nadu. In Tamil language, Shark is called by the name ‘Sura’. This dish is prepared with a small or medium sized shark fish called as ‘pal sura’ available in the seas around South India. This recipe is one of the favourites among the seafood lovers and it goes well with rice based meals. It is believed to be a good dish for nursing mothers, as it is rich in proteins and nutritious elements. It’s better to buy Sura fish weighing 1 kg, as it would give us approximately 500-600 grams of cleaned fish meat after removing the skin, head and bones. Have a look at the ingredients and the method of preparation.
Ingredients used in Sura meen puttu
- 1 kg whole Sura fish
- 2 medium sized Onion
- 10 cloves of Garlic
- 6 medium sized fresh green chillies
- 2-inch Ginger piece
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon of Aniseed
- 1 small bunch of coriander leaves
- ¼ cup of Oil
- ½ cup of freshly grated coconut
- Salt for the taste
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- ¼ cup of water
Method of preparation
- Clean and wash the fish, slice it to medium sized pieces.
- Boil the fish in water along with ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Continue cooking till the water gets fully removed through evaporation.
- Take if off from the flame and keep it aside for cooling
- Remove the bones and mash it well without any lumps. Keep it aside.
- Finely chop the onions, garlic cloves, green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Heat a not stick pan or skillet on a medium flame and add some oil.
- Add the aniseeds and the finely chopped onion pieces, fry it till the onions attains a translucent texture.
- Now, add the chopped ginger and garlic pieces and fry it for 7-8 minutes.
- For a natural aroma, add the curry leaves, coriander leaves and the freshly grated coconut pieces. Saute it for another 5 minutes.
- At last, add the well-mashed fish and salt for the taste. Also add the turmeric powder and stir fry the ingredients for 5 minutes.
- Once the whole mixture is blended well, switch off the flame and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve this tasty Sura meen puttu as a side dish for rice.