Sweet and simple Lassi preparation
Lassi is a yogurt based beverage which is a famous summer drink in India.
Lassi is mostly prominent in the state of Punjab. It is also seen in some of the other North Indian states like Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi. It can be of three different flavours, namely salty, sweet and masala. Out of this three lassi varieties, sweet lassi is regarded as slightly heavy due to the presence of rich milk and sugar. Thick homemade fresh yogurt is traditionally used for the preparation of delicious lassi. Basic lassi can be made of different flavours with the inclusion of a variety of ingredients like cardamom powder, saffron, dry fruits, nuts and fruits like mango, papaya, banana etc. Sugar is used as a basic sweetening agent. Nuts varieties like pistachios(pista) or almond(badam) is generally used as ingredients. Rose water is a unique ingredient in this recipe. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of simple sweet lassi with cardamom flavour.
Ingredients used for making simple, sweet Lassi
- 2 cups of chilled and thick yogurt
- 100 ml of chilled milk or water
- 2 tablespoon of sugar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 3-4 finely chopped pistachios(pista) or Almond(badam)
- 1/4 teaspoon of rose water
Good quality cardamom, pistachios(pista) and Almond (Badam) etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Simple, sweet Lassi
- Thick curd must be used for lassi preparations. Using a strainer, remove the excess water in the curd.
- With the help of a traditional buttermilk churner, whisk the curd or yogurt to form a smooth and frothy solution.
- If you prefer a thinner drink, add some chilled water.
- Add the chilled milk, cardamom powder, rose water, sugar or honey and churn it to a frothy mixture.
- Use of fat milk will provide a rich and creamy lassi, fat milk can be substituted with skimmed milk or water for a much thinner lassi.
- Transfer this cold mixture to a serving glass.
- Garnish it with crushed pistachios or almond pieces.
- Sweet lassi with a cardamom flavour is ready, serve it cold.