Sweet Arrowroot Halwa or Koova podi Halwa
Arrowroot powder, jaggery syrup, grated coconut and ghee are the essential ingredients required for making this recipe.
Arrowroot powder or Koova podi is a white coloured edible flour produced from the rhizomes of traditional arrowroot herbs. Some of the archaeological studies suggest that arrowroot cultivation has begun as early as 7000 years ago. The name ‘Arrowroot’ was taken from the language of Caribbean Arawak people. These people used arrowroot as a staple food and according to their language ‘aru-aru’ means ‘meal of meals’. Arrowroot is one of an important natural source of nutritional starch. Each arrowroot tubers contain 23% of starch. Different recipes are made using arrowroot powder. Sweet and delicious halwa prepared using arrowroot flour has a golden brown colour. The unique flavour of this recipe is due to the presence of ghee or Clarified Butter. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of this sweet dish.
Ingredients used for making Arrowroot Halwa or Koova podi Halwa
- ½ cup of Arrowroot powder/Koovapodi
- ¾ cup of grated Jaggery
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated coconut
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- 5 teaspoon of ghee or Clarified butter
- 2 tablespoon of raisins
- 8-10 Cashew nuts
- 1½ cup of water
Good quality spices, jaggery, Arrowroot powder(Koova podi), Cashew nuts etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Arrowroot Halwa or Koova podi Halwa
- Take some water (1/3 cup) in pan and heat it on a medium flame. Add the grated jaggery and continue heating.
- When the whole of jaggery melts to form a dark brown coloured solution, strain it for impurities.
- Now heat the dark brown coloured jaggery solution with the grated coconut. Heat it to a boil. Keep it aside.
- Take the arrowroot powder in a wide open mixing bowl and add 1 cup of water. Mix it thoroughly to form a solution without lumps.
- Heat this arrowroot solution in a pan or Kadai. The solution starts thickening after 4-5 minutes. The solution will change the white colour and attains a transparent colour.
- Now, pour the jaggery solution and stir it well to form a golden brown coloured solution. Also, add the cardamom powder.
- Keep on stirring the solution and slowly mash the lumps with the back of a ladle.
- Add 3 teaspoon of ghee or Clarified butter. The mixture will start leaving the side of the pan and will slowly attain the thickness and becomes a whole mass.
- Now, add 1 more spoon of ghee, mix it well and take it off from the flame.
- Transfer the thick mixture to a greased plate.
- Use a flat based cup or plate to level the mixture. Cut the halwa into desired shapes.
- Garnish it with the roasted Cashew nuts and raisins.
- Arrowroot halwa is ready and serve it as a sweet confection.