Venga(Malabar Kino/ Indian Kino ) or Pterocarpus marsupium-An Excellent Anti-Diabetic from Ayurveda
Venga(വേങ്ങ or Malabar Kino/ Indian Kino ) or Pterocarpus marsupium
Venga(വേങ്ങ) or Pterocarpus marsupium is a medium-large deciduous tree.This can grow up to 30 meters height.Pterocarpus marsupium(വേങ്ങ) is native to India, Nepal and Sri Lanka.The tree can be found in Western Ghats of Kerala-Karnataka region.And it can be also found in the forest areas.Pterocarpus marsupium is also known as Venga(in Malayalam),Indian Kino tree, Malabar Kino tree(in English), Vijaysar, Bijasal (in Ayurveda).Indian Kino(വേങ്ങ) used for many diseases in Ayurveda.This includes Diabetes, diarrhoea, obesity etc.Pterocarpus marsupium has an anti-hyperlipidemic property.This helps to reduce the cholesterol level.The antibacterial and astringent properties make it use in skin problems.
Venga(വേങ്ങ or Malabar Kino/ Indian Kino ) or Pterocarpus marsupium- Anti-Diabetic property
Pterocarpus marsupium kino(gum)
Venga(വേങ്ങ) is popular in its use for Diabetes in Ayurveda.This has been used for years by our ancestors for diabetes in Ayurveda. It can lower the blood sugar level and also the cholesterol,triglycerides levels.The tree is a rich source of kino(gum) of the European pharmacopeas, which is a gum from the tree.This is used as an astringent in medicinal purposes.The gum looks like dried blood.This is used in medicines.The flavonoid, (-)-epicatechin can be extracted from the bark of the Indian Kino tree(വേങ്ങ).It has the property to prevent alloxan-induced beta cell damage.The epicatechin and a crude , which is extracted from the Pterocarpus marsupium bark have the property to regenerate the functional pancreatic beta cells.
Pterocarpus marsupium tumbler
Pterocarpus marsupium(വേങ്ങ) can be used to reduce the diabetic symptoms such as overeating ,over thirst, frequent urination and also the pain in the limbs.In Ancient time they use a Pterocarpus marsupium tumbler to drink water for diabetic persons.This can lower down the blood sugar level.The heartwood of the Indian Kino (വേങ്ങ)tree is used for Pterocarpus marsupium tumbler.The water kept for a number of hours in the tumbler results in the release of its essence to the water.Using this water can reduce the blood sugar level drastically
Other Medicinal Uses of Venga(വേങ്ങ) or Pterocarpus marsupium
- The Indian Kino (വേങ്ങ) can be used to treat Diarrhoea.The resin and bark are used for the treatment
- For Intestinal parasites the tea made from the bark of the Pterocarpus marsupium can be use.
- The crushed leaves of Indian Kino used for skin problems .
- For Dental health Indian Kino can be used in many ways.The twig and bark of the tree are used as a toothbrush.And due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effect, this is used as an ingredient in herbal tooth powders.
- Cholesterol level can be reduced by Pterocarpus marsupium(വേങ്ങ).It has antihyperlipidemic property, it helps to lower the cholesterol,LDL, VLDL and triglyceride levels in your body.
Side Effects of Venga or Pterocarpus marsupium
- It cannot be used during constipation.As it is used for Diarrhoea.
- The diabetic persons should use this only after doctors suggestion.If they are under treatment.