Aloo bonda/ Urulaikizhangu bonda or Potato bonda
Aloo bonda or Potato bonda is a deep fried evening snack recipe popular in different parts of India.
Aloo bonda/ urulaikizhangu bonda or Potato bonda is one of a classic teatime recipe prepared using gram flour(Kadala mavu) batter stuffed with mashed potato mixture. South Indian Potato bonda contains small quantities of rice flour and a unique blend of spices. The use of red chilli powder and sliced green chillies imparts a spicy flavour. A pinch of turmeric powder is used for the taste, this will provide a light golden brown colour. Potato bonda is an easy recipe and it would take about 30 minutes for its preparation. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of this teatime snack.
Ingredients used for making Aloo Bonda or Potato Bonda
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 finely chopped ginger piece
- 2-3 finely chopped garlic
- 5 medium sized sliced green chillies
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 medium sized chopped onion
- 1 cup of gram flour/Kadalamavu
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- A pinch of asafoetida powder
- 1 cup of water
- Salt for the taste
- A string of coriander leaves
- Cooking oil for frying
Good quality spices, dry fruits, jackfruit products, nuts varieties etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Aloo Bonda or Potato Bonda
- Wash and clean the potatoes in clean water. Peel the potatoes and cut them into medium sized pieces.
- Cook these potato pieces with some water and salt.
- Once cooked, mash this pieces with a ladle or spoon and keep it aside.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and once it pops up, add curry leaves, sliced green chillies and chopped garlic, ginger and onion pieces. Saute these contents for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder, mashed and cooked tomatoes and the salt. Mix it well and cook it for further 5-6 minutes.
- Add some coriander leaves and keep it aside. When it cools, take some portions from the mixture and roll it to form small ball shapes. Keep this aside.
- Take the gram flour/Kadalamavu, rice flour in a mixing bowl. Add the salt, red chilli powder, a pinch or turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt. Slowly pour the water and mix it to form a thin batter.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan. Dip each of the ball-shaped potato mixture in the batter and deep fry it to a light golden colour.
- Once it is ready, take it off from the oil and use kitchen tissues to drain the excess oil.
- Serve it hot with a cup of tea.