Chakka Puzhukku, Chakka vevichatu or Raw jackfruit dish
Chakka Puzhukku, Chakka vevichatu or Raw jackfruit dish is one of the main traditional dishes of Kerala.
Jackfruit is abundantly available in Kerala during the summer season. In Malayalam, jackfruit is known as Chakka. Out of many jackfruit dishes, Chakka puzhukku is the most commonly prepared jackfruit dish in Kerala. Kantari chammanthi or bird’s eye chili chutney is the main side dish used for this recipe. Many of the non-veg recipes are also used as a side dish for Chakka puzhukku.
Grated coconut is also an important ingredient in this recipe. Green chilly or birds eye chilli is used as a spicy content. Matured and unripe jackfruit are needed for making Chakka puzhkku. The process of taking out the edible component from the jackfruit is known to be a time consuming one. Chakka puzhukku is also served as a side dish for kanji or rice soup for dinner. The combination of rice soup (kanji) and chakka puzhukku is famous among the rural villages of Kerala.
Ingredients for making Chakka Puzhukku, Chakka vevichatu or Raw jackfruit dish
- 5 cups of sliced jackfruit
- 2 cups of grated coconut
- 5-7 green chilly or birds eye chilli
- 4 shallots (ulli)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 3 sprigs of curry leaves
- Salt (as per your requirement)
- Water as required
Good quality jackfruit products, spices, dry fruits, nuts varieties etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation
- Cut open the raw jackfruit and take out the jackfruit bulbs.
- Clean them and remove the seeds, slice it to small pieces.
- Heat the jackfruit pieces and water in a cooking pan. Cook it with the addition of curry leaves and salt.
- Cover the lid of the pan while cooking and stir the contents in between.
- Grated coconut is grinded with green chillies or birds eye chilies, cumin seeds, garlic, shallots and a pinch of turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- Add these grinded mixture to the cooked jackfruit and mix everything well.
- Add the salt as per your requirement. Gently mix everything and cook it in a low flame for 3 minutes.
- Once it is cooked take away from the flame and serve it hot.