Curd rice or Thayir sadam
Curd rice is a famous recipe among South Indians. Curd and rice are the essential ingredients used in this recipe.
Curd rice is one of an important recipe in a complete South Indian thali. Inclusion of tempered spices makes this a delicious and yummy dish. It is also known as ‘thayir sadam’ in Tamil and ‘daddojanam’ in Telugu. Curd dishes are mostly favoured during the summer season. Consumption of curd recipes will help to reduce the body temperature during the hot summer season. Rice should be made mushy for the preparation of curd rice. Milk can be added to reduce the sour taste of curd rice. Usually, curd rice is made a while before serving, but if you are taking this recipe after 1 hour of its preparation, it’s advisable to add some milk to reduce the sour taste. Curd rice preparation is very simple and it wouldn’t take much of your time. This recipe can be prepared in many different ways, here we have explained one of the commonly used method of preparation.
Ingredients for making curd rice or thayir sadam
- ½ cup of uncooked white rice
- 1½ cup of water (water as per the requirement)
- 1 cup of thick curd
- 1/4 cup of milk (optional)
- 2 tablespoon of finely sliced or grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon of finely chopped or grated cucumber or bottle gourd
- Salt as per the taste
Ingredients for tempering
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 dried red chilli or slit green chilli
- A pinch of jeera
- 1 teaspoon of urad dal (ഉഴുന്ന്)
- 1 teaspoon of chana dal (കടലപ്പരിപ്പ്)
- A pinch of asafoetida powder
High-quality spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method preparation of curd rice
- Wash the rice and soak it for 10 minutes.
- Heat the rice in a pan along with 2 times of water. Heat it to a boil and cover the lid of the vessel.
- Boil the rice for about 8 minutes. Occasionally check the water level and add water according to the requirement.
- Check if the rice is cooked. Once it is cooked strain out the excess water and keep it aside for cooling.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds and dried red chilli. Once it starts to splutter, add cumin (jeera) seeds.
- Saute it to a brown colour and add white lentil (urad dal). Once it attains a golden colour, add the curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add the sliced ginger pieces and saute it for few seconds. Once the tempering for the curd rice ir ready, turn off the heat.
- Transfer the boiled rice to a bigger bowl and add the thick curd or yogurt. Add the coriander leaves, carrot and cucumber. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Now pour the tempering over the prepared mixture of rice, curd and the veggies. Combine all the ingredients together to form delicious and yummy Curd rice.