Horse gram(Muthira)-Aid to Resist Diabetes and for Weight Loss
Horse gram(Muthira,മുതിര, Kulath)
Horse gram (മുതിര) is a reddish-brown bean , which is lesser known.It is called as Muthira (in Malayalam) , Horse gram,Cowpea(in English), Kulathi(in Hindi) and Kollu(in Tamil).Its botanical name is Macrotyloma uniflorum .This is commonly used in South India.The plant grows up to a height of 60 cm.The whole seed is used for cattle feed.
The stem of the plant is hairy.It is a perennial plant which holds fibrous rhizobium stem.The flowers are small and it is yellow or white in colour.It grows in clusters.The seeds are round and slightly flattened.The seed is hot, bitter and sharp.The leaf of the seed is a source of ascorbic acid and calcium which is used for Vitamin C deficiency.
Muthira (മുതിര) is a rich source of Iron and Molybdenum.This contains a high amount of trypsin inhibitor, hemagglutinin activities and natural phenols.The seed is a rich source of nutrients.These includes carbohydrates, moisture, fat, crude protein, calories, fiber, mineral matter, iron, calcium, nicotinic acid, carotene, phosphorus and vitamin B.This also contains pentosan, water soluble gum and traces of urease .The seed contains about 25.5% of proteins.
Horse gram(Muthira, മുതിര, Kulath) for Diabetes
The row Horse gram (മുതിര) exhibits anti-hyperglycemic properties.This helps to reduce insulin resistance.Hence it is highly used for diabetics.The seed is beneficial for reducing the blood glucose level.It can reduce the digestion of carbohydrate.This leads to lower the blood sugar level.This is used as insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes.Including Horse gram (മുതിര) in your daily food is very effective for diabetics.This can also help to reduce the cholesterol level.
High-Quality Muthira, Kulath available online from www.NatureLoC.com
Horse gram(Muthira, മുതിര, Kulath) for Weightloss
The seed can reduce our body fat.This is because of its nutritional property.Which contains less carbohydrate, fiber and more protein.For this, the regular use of the seed is needed.This should reduce obesity.Muthira (മുതിര) can be used to make tasty thoran.This can be included in our daily diet.
Other Medicinal uses of Horse gram (മുതിര)
- Cold and Fever:- Soup of Muthira (മുതിര) helps in cold, fever, bronchitis and asthma.It can boost the body immunity.And can make breathing easy during the cold.
- For Digestion:- It can prevent flatulence and reduce indigestion.
- For Sperm Count:- The gram helps to increase the sperm count.
- Menstrual Problems:- This can help women in excessive bleeding and irregular menstrual cycle.The iron content of the seed helps to maintain the haemoglobin count.
- For Kidney stone:- Muthira (മുതിര)can prevent the formation of calcium oxalate stone in kidney.Daily consumption helps to expel small kidney stone.
- Pregnant women, persons suffering from tuberculosis should not take this
- The persons who are willing to gain weight should not use this.
For more Spices and Ayurvedic Dried/Crushed products check through www.NatureLoC.com