How to make delicious vegetable samosa?
Samosa is known to be the most popular snack recipe in India. It is available in almost every bakery or chaat shop across India.
Samosas are a savory comfort food with a crispy exterior filled with delicious stuffings made of vegetables. This snack recipe goes well with a hot cup of tea. This spicy stuffed pastries are very easy to prepare at home & makes an irresistible combo with tomato ketchup or with Mint, Coriander chutney. Though we normally use potato stuffing, we can also add steamed vegetables like carrot, beans, peas along with potatoes and make vegetable samosa. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of vegetable samosa.
Ingredients required for making vegetable samosa
- 1 cup of maida or all purpose flour
- 100 grams of vegetables like green peas, beans, carrot and beetroot.
- 2 potatoes
- 2-3 medium sized onions
- 1/2 teaspoon of chopped ginger pieces
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper powder
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt as per the taste
- Cooking oil as per the requirement
Method of preparation of vegetable samosa
- In a bowl mix together all purpose flour, salt and oil. The flour should be well mixed with the oil. This is done to get crispy samosas.
- Then add the water little by little and mix to form a stiff dough. Keep it aside for 20 minutes
- In the meantime, wash the vegetables in clean water and peel off the skin.
- Chop the vegetables like carrot, beetroot, beans and potatoes into small pieces.
- Cook the vegetables in boiled water along with salt and turmeric powder
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds splutter, add the sliced onion pieces, curry leaves, green chillies and the chopped ginger pieces.
- Saute it for some time and once the onion attains a transparent texture add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder and salt needed.
- Mix it well and saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and mix it well. Once it is ready, switch off the flame and transfer the fillings to a bowl.
- Take out the small ball shaped pieces from the dough and roll it into an oval or round shape.
- Cut this into two equal halfs and fold each halfs to a cone shape.
- Fill the cone with the prepared stuffing and close the opening and fold it to form a triangle.
- Now repeat the same process to the rest of the dough.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or Kadai and add the prepared dough pieces.
- Drop 2-3 samosas into the oil gently and fry both sides until golden brown colour.
- Once it is ready, take it out from the oil and serve it hot.