How to make Rice Vermicelli Upma or Akki Shavige Uppittu?
Preparation of Rice Vermicelli Upma or Akki Shavige Uppittu
Semiya / Shavige or Indian vermicelli is a readily available product through the grocery stores. Kheer, Upma, pulao and dosa are some of the recipes which can be prepared with these noodles shaped ingredient. Rice vermicelli upma or Akki Shavige Uppittu is a delicious recipe prepared using Semiya / Shavige or Indian vermicelli. It is an all-time favourite dish and can be served as a breakfast, lunch or evening recipe. This is an easy recipe and would require only 20-25 minutes for its preparation. Freshly sliced green chillies are used for a spicy flavour and the presence of shredded coconut pieces would provide a pleasant flavour. The use of lemon juice, cumin seeds and curry leaves combines well with the recipe and presents a unique aroma. Have a look at the detailed description on the ingredients used and the method of preparation of this delicious recipe.
Ingredients used for the preparation of Rice vermicelli upma or Akki Shavige Uppittu
- 2 cups of Shavige / Rice vermicelli / Semiya
- 1 large sized onion (chopped to fine pieces)
- 2-3 green chillies (chopped to fine pieces)
- 1-2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon of Urad daal
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- Juice from a medium sized lemon
- A handful of coriander leaves (chopped pieces)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Salt for the taste
Preparation of Rice vermicelli upma or Akki Shavige Uppittu
- Heat 6 cups of water in a pan, boil it and add the Shavige / Rice vermicelli / Semiya into it.
- Add some salt for the taste and pour 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Boil it until the vermicelli gets cooked.
- Once it is cooked, take it off from the pan and drain the hot water.
- Now, add 1 teaspoon of oil and toss it gently so that the oil gets applied to the surface of the cooked vermicelli. This would prevent the vermicelli from sticking to each other.
- Using a medium flame and heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and urad dal.
- Saute it until the urad dal attains a light brown colour.
- Now, add the chopped onion and green chilli pieces.
- Once the onion pieces are cooked, sprinkle some salt for the taste and mix it.
- Finally, add the cooked vermicelli and continuously stir the ingredients to break away any lumps.
- After 5 minutes, partially cover the pan with the lid.
- Use the lemon juice and the chopped coriander leaves in garnishing the recipe.
- Keep it covered for 10 more minutes and occasionally stir the ingredients.
- Once it ready, serve it hot with chutney.