Mandakki oggarane, Borugula Upma, Uggani, Seasoned puffed rice
Mandakki Oggarane, Borugula Upma, Uggani, Seasoned puffed rice
Mandakki Oggarane is a famous snack served across the northern parts of Karnataka. This easy dish is usually served with ‘Mirchi Bajji’ and thick yoghurt. It is known by different names like ‘Uggani’ in the Rayalaseema area of Andhra Pradesh and ‘Borugula Upma’ in Telugu language. Puffed rice, tomatoes, green chillies, peanuts and onions are the essential ingredients used in this recipe. The use of chopped green chillies imparts a hot spicy flavour. It is an easy snack recipe and is very low on calories. Roasted gram dal and peanuts adds up a crunchy sensation. Few drops of lemon juice at the end provides a delicate sour flavour which combines well with the seasoning ingredients. Have a look at the preparation of this healthy and delicious Mandakki Oggarane.
Ingredients used in Mandakki Oggarane, Borugula Upma, Uggani
- 4 cups of Puffed rice / Pori / Murmura
- 1 medium sized Onion (chopped to fine pieces)
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup of roasted Gram dal / Puttukadalai / Bengal gram / Dalia
- 2-3 Green chillies
- 2 tablespoon of Coriander leaves
- 1-2 teaspoon of lemon juice for garnishing
- Salt for the taste
- 4 tablespoons of Oil
- ¼ teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon of Urad dal
- ½ teaspoon of Bengal gram / Chana dal
- 2 tablespoon of Peanuts
Method of preparation of Mandakki Oggarane, Borugula Upma, Uggani
- Wash the puffed rice in clean water and soak it in sufficient water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze off the water and keep it aside for later use.
- Use a mixer and ground the gram dal into fine powder.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, Urad dal, cumin seeds, peanuts and Chana dal.
- Saute it till the dal attains a light golden texture and add the onion pieces and green chillies.
- Stir fry the ingredients on a low flame. Once the onion pieces become translucent, add the tomato pieces and cook it to a soft state.
- Now, add the puffed rice and the powdered roasted gram dal, mix it well.
- Add the coriander leaves and salt for the taste. Mix it well.
- Cook the mixture in a low flame for 2-3 minutes. Once it is ready, turn off the heat and transfer it to a serving bowl. Garnish it with lemon juice.
- Mandakki Oggarane is ready, serve it as an evening dish.