Muthira thoran or Horse gram recipe with grated coconut
Preparation of Horse gram recipe with grated coconut or Muthira thoran
Muthira thoran or Horse gram recipe with grated coconut is a spicy recipe served as a side dish for rice, chapatti and dosa. Horse gram is highly nutritious and contains fair share of vitamins and proteins. Nutritionists recommend this bean in your diet because of its weight reducing and fat removing benefits. As it is a rich source of natural B-complex vitamin and proteins, it is believed to have a positive effect on preventing arthritis. The presence of dietary fibres in horse gram can have a say in balancing your blood pressure and sugar glucose levels. Powdered peppercorns and red chilli powder are used for a spicy flavour. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Muthira thoran or Horse gram recipe with grated coconut.
Ingredients used for making Muthira thoran or Horse gram recipe with grated coconut
- 1 cup of Horse gram/ Muthira
- ¾ cup of grated coconut
- A pinch of cumin seeds
- 2-3 garlic pods
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon of chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Muthira thoran or Horse gram recipe with grated coconut
- Wash Horse gram or Muthira in clean water for 2-3 time and cook it in a pressure cooker along with water and turmeric powder for 3-4 whistles.
- Using a grinder, form a coarsely grounded mixture of grated coconut, cumin seeds, chilli powder and garlic pods.
- Add the coconut mixture to the cooked horse gram or Muthira and mix it well.
- Now, add the curry leaves and the coconut oil and stir the mixture.
- When it’s ready, switch off the flame and serve it hot.