Nenthrakaya Kalan -Banana Chips-(Ethakka varuthathu) Onam sadya recipes
Nenthrakaya Kalan -Banana Chips-(Ethakka varuthathu) Onam sadya recipes (onam sadya vibhavangal)
It is that time of the year again when Malayees look forward to celebrate Onam-the mother of all festivals in Kerala. Try these easy to make recipes….
Nenthrakaya Kalan Unripe Plantain Curry with Curd and Coconut
Unripe Plantain Curry with Curd and Coconut
This preparation is one of the eight dishes served at feasts. It is a delicate and difficult dish to make because the coconut has to be ground to an extra fine paste. (The fun fact )The traditional test was to throw a spoonful of the coconut paste at a smooth wall-it should not slide off but stick to the wall. A week made kalan can keep for a week or so without refrigeration
- Unripe plantains – 2 Nos
- Shallots chopped -4
- Green chillies chopped – 2 Nos
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Thick curd – 2 cups (not very sour) whisked
Ground to an extra fine paste
- 1 medium –sized, fresh coconut, grated
- 2 shallots chopped
- A pinch of cumin powder
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Coconut Oil -1 ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Shallots chopped -2
- Curry leaves – 2 stalks
- Peel the plantains,slit lengthwise and cut into 1 cm cubes
- Place plantains in a pan with shallots,green chillies,spice powders,salt and 1/4 cup water,and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes
- Stir in curd and simmer for 5 minutes
- Mix in coconut paste and simmer over low heat till gravy thickens
- Heat oil for tempering in small pan and sprinkle in mustard seeds. When they start sputtering,add remaining ingredients and fry till shallots turn brown
- pour contents of pat into curry,mix well and serve
- Kalan can also made with elephant foot yam
Banana Chips/Ethakka varuthathu
- Nendran Banana/ Ethakka, well matured- 4 medium sized
- Salt- to taste
Oil, to fry- 2 cups
- Select raw nendran banana which are well mature the peel stats to get light yellow shade. If you peel them it will be mild pink colour.
- Give a shallow cut using a knife from top to bottom on the peel and remove the peel with knife or hand. Well matured banana you can peel easily.
- In a bowl add turmeric and water and mix well. Keep the peeled bananas immersed in that turmeric water till you make ready other things to chop and fry for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the bananas from water and pat dry to remove excess water.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat once it becomes hot reduce the flame and start frying the chips.
- Using a carrot grater’s long blade attachment slice the banana by holding the blade in left and run the banana held on right hand.
- You can grate them directly on top of oil and fry them like how they do in shops
- Fry the chips by constant stirring to fry the whole batch evenly.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt in 3 tablespoons of water. When the chips becomes half fried sprinkle little salt water over the oil.
- Fry them till it becomes crispy and light. You can hear the fried chips crispy sound while frying.
- Remove them fry oil and transfer into newspaper or paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Store the crunchy chips in airtight containers.