Ripe Jackfruit Cake Recipe (Kathal Cake) – NatureLoC Recipes
Ripe Jackfruit Cake
Summer vacations are now over. Everyone must be returning back to their home from the native. I saw my mum packing the bags to return home. We used to have lots of fun here. Going in the fields, and throwing stones, so that the mangoes would fall from the tall trees. A few stones would land up on the neighbouring houses. All depends upon your skills. I never knew how those days got over soon.
There was a huge jackfruit tree, right in the backyard of my granny’s house. My grandfather would ask someone to climb all the way up, to pick some of those big juicy jackfruits. My granny used to prepare a lot of dishes out of it. A few to be named are Jackfruit Varatti (Jackfruit Halwa), Jackfruit Curries, Jackfruit Chips etc. But one such dish she prepared was Jackfruit Cake.
When I told to my friends about the Jackfruit Cake, they were surprised and said, “a cake made of jackfruit?”. And I replied with a giggle, “Yes!”.
My mother learnt the recipe from my grandmother, and she passed on that recipe to me. Making this cake was like conquering the Mount Everest for me. So I was about to start baking, and as I started, the power went off. Thanks to the frequent power cuts in Idukki.
Now the ending of my story is incomplete. It’s upto you to decide whether you need a happy ending or a shocking one. Depends upon all your cooking skills. I hope mine sure is a good one. So let’s all create a good ending to each of your story, by making this healthy and delicious Jackfruit Cake at home. All the ingredients and instructions given below.
Ripe Jackfruit Cake – Ingredients
- 500g of ripe jackfruit pieces (Varikka chakka)
- water as required
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup rice powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour (Alternatives: Jackfruit Flour, Jackfruit Seed Flour)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp raisins, cashews, almonds
- 2 cups sugar
Ripe Jackfruit Cake – Instructions
- Remove the seeds from the jackfruit pieces (around 15 pieces) and place it on a plate.
- Place the jackfruit pieces in a blender, add 1 cup water and blend. Set aside the extract.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the cake tray for 10 mins at 180 degree celsius and grease the oil on it.
- Mix rice powder, flour, sugar, eggs, salt, milk, baking powder, ghee in a bowl.
- Pour the jackfruit extract, stir and mix well to make a thick liquid.
- Pour the liquid mixture on a tray and sprinkle few raisins, cashews and almonds.
- Bake in an oven at 180 degree celsius for about 30-40 mins.
- Insert a knife in the center of the cake, if it comes out of clean, it means the cake is done.