Traditional Kerala Crab curry or Nadan Njandu Curry
Traditional Kerala Crab curry or Nadan Njandu Curry is an amazing recipe which goes well tapioca and rice dishes.
Kerala is blessed with the availability of fresh seafood all around the year. Crab is one of a nutritious seafood variety. Traditional crab curry is a nutritious recipe with a hot and spicy flavour. Nadan Njandu curry and Kappa puzhukku is one of a special recipe combination in the toddy shops across the central Kerala. Fresh coconut milk is used for a delicious taste. Green chillies and red chilli powder is used for a spicy flavour. Let’s have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of traditional Crab curry or Nadan Njandu curry.
Ingredients used for making Crab curry or Nadan Njandu curry
- 400 gms of cleaned crabs
- Coconut oil, as per the requirement
- 2-3 medium sized onion (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2-3 medium sized tomatoes (sliced to small pieces)
- 1-inch ginger piece (chopped to fine pieces)
- 4-5 garlic cloves ( sliced pieces)
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1-2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 cup of thin coconut milk
- 1 cup of thick coconut milk
- Salt, for the taste
Good quality natural spices, dry fruits and jackfruit products are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Kerala Crab curry or Nadan Njandu Curry
- Heat some coconut oil in frying pan or kadai and add the sliced onion and curry leaves.
- Reduce the flame to a medium range. Saute it for some time. Once the onion attains a transparent texture, add the sliced tomato pieces.
- Saute the contents for few minutes and add the ginger, garlic pieces and slit green chillies.
- Heat the contents and saute it for few minutes.
- Add the powders, salt and masala (turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, pepper powder, garam masala).
- Stir the contents and once it is sauteed to a dark brown texture, add thin coconut milk.
- Add the crab pieces and heat it to a boil.
- Cover the lid of the pan and continue heating until the crab pieces are cooked.
- Once it is cooked and the gravy becomes thick, add the thick coconut milk and simmer it for few seconds.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the contents to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with tapioca dishes or rice