Vattayappam – Sweet and delicious steamed rice cake
Vattayappam (വട്ടയപ്പം) is a form of steamed rice cake. This is one of the delicious and sweet recipe made without the use of oil.
Vattayappam is a round shaped dish known for its softness and unique taste. This is one of most popular recipe among the Christian community in Kerala. Rice and coconut are the main ingredients for making this soft and fluffy dish. Sugar or jaggery can be used as sweeteners. The use of jaggery will give a brown texture. The addition of sugar can make it fluffier than the other one. Topping with raisins and cashew nuts can give it a delicate and sweet taste.
Ingredients for making vattayappam
- 1½ cup of raw white rice/ pachari
- 3/4 cup of cooked rice
- 1½ cup of freshly grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon of instant yeast
- 2-3 tablespoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of jeera
- 4 to 5 cardamom seeds/ elakka
- Water (according to the requirement)
- 2 tablespoon of raisins
- 2 tablespoon of cashew nuts
Good quality spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation
- Wash the raw white rice/ pachari and soak it in the water for 2 hours.
- Grind the soaked raw white rice, cooked rice, 1 cup of coconut, yeast, sugar and salt in water to form a thick and smooth batter. (Water should be added in such a way that it stays just above the ingredients. The batter should be thick)
- Transfer the batter to a large bowl and keep it overnight for fermentation.
- The fermented batter will rise and look foamy.
- Grind 1/2 cup of grated coconut, cardamom seeds and a pinch of jeera in few teaspoon of water and add this to the batter.
- Mix the batter well. Batter will be thick and keep it aside for 20-25 minutes.
- Pour the batter to a flat bottom round pan which is greased with oil. Half fill the pan.
- Top it with the raisins and cashew nuts
- Heat up the steamer. Once the steam starts to come, keep the pan into the hot steamer and the close the lid. Simmer it for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Take out the pan. The sweet and delicious vattayappam is ready for serving.