Vendakka mappas or Ladies finger curry with grated coconut milk
Vendakka mappas or Ladies finger recipe with grated coconut milk is one of a traditional recipe which goes well with rice.
Ladies finger or okra recipes are generally served as a side dish for rice along with thoran or mezhukkupuratti recipes. Green chilli, red chilli powder and black pepper imparts a spicy flavour. The use of coriander powder and turmeric powder along with thick coconut milk gives a delicious taste. This is one of an easy traditional recipe and it would take about 30 minutes for its preparation. Inclusion of one or two medium sized tomatoes, chopped pieces would increase the taste. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of Vendakka mappas or Ladies finger recipe with grated coconut milk.
Ingredients required for making Vendakka mappas or Ladies finger recipe with grated coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1/4 kg of ladies finger, okra or vendakka (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 medium sized onion (sliced to fine pieces)
- 4 green chillies (slit to two pieces)
- Small piece of ginger (chopped to fine pieces)
- 1 tomato (Chopped to small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup of thick coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper (crushed)
- 1 cup of thin coconut milk
- Salt for the taste
- 2-3 dried red chillies
Method of preparation of Vendakka mappas or Ladies finger recipe with grated coconut milk
- Clean and cut the okra or ladies finger into thin lengthy pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the sliced onion pieces, dried red chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute it for few seconds and add ginger and green chillies saute the contents for few minutes.
- Once it’s raw smell disappears, add the sliced okra or ladies finger and fry it for about 10- minutes. In between stir the contents regularly.
- Add the chopped tomato pieces and saute it for a minute. Add the chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and toss it well for a minute.
- Add the salt for the taste and thin coconut milk, heat it to a boil.
- After 5-7 minutes pour the thick coconut milk, garam masala and crushed black pepper and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Once it is ready, remove from heat and serve them warm with rice.