Yummy and spicy tomato rice
Tomato rice is a well-known recipe from South India. This spicy recipe has a fresh and unique flavour.
Tomato rice is a tangy as well a spicy rice preparation normally used as a lunchtime recipe. This South Indian recipe is famous in the states like Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala. The reddish colour of the recipe is due to the addition of tomatoes and red chilli powder. Yummy and flavorful tomato rice can be served with side dishes like papad, salad and pickle. The intriguing taste of this recipe is due to the presence of a unique spice combination. Ginger and garlic are considered as the important ingredients in this recipe. We can reduce the spiciness of the dish by adding less red chilli powder, black pepper and green chillies. Even though leftover rice can also be used for the preparation of tomato rice, as a lunch box recipe it is advisable to use freshly cooked and cooled rice. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Tomato rice.
Ingredients used for the preparation of tomato rice
- 2 teaspoon of cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 2-3 cloves
- A small piece of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ural dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Chana dal
- A sprig of curry leaves.
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 medium sized onion (sliced to small pieces)
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped to small pieces)
- 2 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilly (slip open as two pieces)
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1-2 teaspoon of any masala powder (Chicken masala can be used)
- 11/2 tablespoon of finely chopped coriander leaves.
Good quality natural spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of tomato rice
- Heat some oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is heated add the mustard seeds. When the seeds start’s to splutter, add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, curry leaves and cloves.
- Add the urad dal and chana dal. Fry it to a golden brown colour.
- Add finely sliced onion pieces and green chillies and saute it for few seconds. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute it for some time.
- Salt can be added according to the requirement.
- When the raw smell of the ginger garlic paste disappears, add the chopped tomato pieces. Saute it until it gets to a soft and mushy state.
- Now you can add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and masala powder. Stir the mixture for some time.
- Pour some water (less than 1/4 cup) and heat it to a boil. Check for salt and add it according to the taste.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the cooked rice and stir the mixture for some time. Reduce the flame to a low-medium level.
- Heat the rice mixture for about 2-3 minutes and add the coriander leaves. Cover the lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the tomato rice is ready, take it from the flame and serve it with side dishes.