Ethakka Upperi, Kaya varuthathu, Ethakka varuthathu or Banana chips
Ethakka Upperi or banana chips is the most popular snack variety from Kerala.
Ethakka Upperi, Kaya varuthathu or banana chips is an integral part of Kerala Sadya. Unripe bananas or plantains are used for the preparation of this dish. It’s one of an easy snack to prepare and it would take only 30 minutes for its preparation. Cleaned banana pieces are finely sliced to circular shaped pieces and it’s then deep fried in coconut oil to form Kaya varuthathu or banana chips. The thickness of the chips depends on the slicer you use. A pinch of turmeric powder imparts a yellow colour and removes the toxic presence. Let’s have a look at the detailed description about the ingredients used and the method of preparation of crispy Ethakka varuthathu or banana chips.
Ingredients for making Ethakka Upperi or banana chips
- 3-4 unripe plantains or Ethakka
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of water
- Coconut oil for frying
Good quality crispy Ethakka Upperi, Kaya varuthathu, Ethakka varuthathu or Banana chips are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Ethakka Upperi or banana chips
- Take the water in a large pan and add the turmeric powder.
- Take some water in a glass and add the salt. Keep this solution for later use.
- Peel off the outside skin of each banana or plantain and immerse them in the turmeric water for 10-20 minutes. This helps to remove the stickiness of the plantains and provides a light yellow colour.
- Make use of a slicer or a knife and finely slice the bananas into to round shaped pieces.
- Dry the pieces by placing on a plate lined with kitchen tissue papers.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Keep the flame in a medium range.
- Slowly add the banana pieces to the oil and fry it. Occasionally stir the contents and flip the pieces so that the pieces won’t stick together.
- Once it is half fried, reduce the flame to the lowest level and sprinkle some salt solution. Close the lid of the pan and keep on frying for few of minutes. Remove the lid after 2 minutes.
- Once the bubbling diminishes completely, take out some pieces and check whether its ready.
- When it ready, take out from the oil and keep it on tissue paper to remove the excess oil.
- Serve it with a cup of tea or store in an airtight container for later use.