Beetroot thoran or Beetroot recipe with grated coconut mixture
Beetroot thoran is a nutritious Kerala recipe which goes well with boiled rice.
Beetroot thoran or beetroot recipe with grated coconut mixture is a spicy recipe. The inclusion of grated coconut mixture increases the taste. Sliced green chillies are responsible for a spicy flavour. It would take about 30 minutes to make this grape coloured recipe. Since beetroot is the best natural remedy for iron-deficiency, this recipe is advisable for people with iron deficiency or anaemia. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of beetroot thoran.
Ingredients required for making beetroot thoran
- 2-3 medium sized beetroots (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 4-5 sliced shallots
- A pinch of cumin seeds or jeera
- 4 cloves of sliced garlic
- 2-3 sliced green chillies
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1-2 tablespoon of Coconut oil or any other cooking oil
- Salt as per the taste
Method of preparation of beetroot thoran or beetroot recipe with grated coconut
- Wash the beetroots in running water and peel off the skin.
- Finely chop the beetroots into fine pieces.
- Grind the mixture of grated coconut, cumin seeds or jeera and sliced green chillies to form a coarse mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, once the seeds start to splutter, add the shallots and curry leaves. Saute it for few seconds.
- Now, add the chopped beetroot pieces and the grounded coconut mixture.
- Add the salt as per the taste and mix the contents.
- Reduce the flame, close the lid of the pan and cook well for about 7-8 minutes.
- In between take off the lid and stir the contents. Repeat this process for 2-3 times while cooking.
- Take off the lid when the contents are almost cooked and cook it for 2-3 minutes so that the recipe gets dried to form the tasty beetroot thoran.
- Taste the salt and add the salt as per the requirement.
- Once it is ready, remove from the flame. Transfer the recipe to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with rice.