Beetroot thoran or Beetroot recipe with grated coconut mixture
Beetroot thoran is a nutritious Kerala recipe which goes well with boiled rice.
Beetroot thoran or beetroot recipe with grated coconut mixture is a spicy recipe. The inclusion of grated coconut mixture increases the taste. Sliced green chillies are responsible for a spicy flavour. It would take about 30 minutes to make this grape coloured recipe. Since beetroot is the best natural remedy for iron-deficiency, this recipe is advisable for people with iron deficiency or anaemia. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of beetroot thoran.
Ingredients required for making beetroot thoran
- 2-3 medium sized beetroots (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 4-5 sliced shallots
- A pinch of cumin seeds or jeera
- 4 cloves of sliced garlic
- 2-3 sliced green chillies
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1-2 tablespoon of Coconut oil or any other cooking oil
- Salt as per the taste
Good quality spices, dry fruits, jackfruit products etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of beetroot thoran or beetroot recipe with grated coconut
- Wash the beetroots in running water and peel off the skin.
- Finely chop the beetroots into fine pieces.
- Grind the mixture of grated coconut, cumin seeds or jeera and sliced green chillies to form a coarse mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, once the seeds start to splutter, add the shallots and curry leaves. Saute it for few seconds.
- Now, add the chopped beetroot pieces and the grounded coconut mixture.
- Add the salt as per the taste and mix the contents.
- Reduce the flame, close the lid of the pan and cook well for about 7-8 minutes.
- In between take off the lid and stir the contents. Repeat this process for 2-3 times while cooking.
- Take off the lid when the contents are almost cooked and cook it for 2-3 minutes so that the recipe gets dried to form the tasty beetroot thoran.
- Taste the salt and add the salt as per the requirement.
- Once it is ready, remove from the flame. Transfer the recipe to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with rice.