Carrot mezhukkupuratty or carrot stir fry
The carrot stir fry or carrot mezhukkupuratty is one of a side dish for rice.
Carrot stir fry or carrot mezhukkupuratti can be prepared within 20 minutes. It is one of a commonly prepared stir fried recipes across Kerala. Coconut oil or any other cooking oil can be used for making this dish. A pinch of turmeric powder can be added for the taste. Washed and clean carrots is sliced lengthwise to small pieces. Dried red chillies or green chillies can be used for the spicy flavour. Adding a sprig of curry leaves would help to impart a unique taste to this recipe. Slightly sweet taste of carrots along the spicy flavour of the chillies give rise to the delicious taste. Have a look at the ingredients required and the method of preparation of this traditional recipe.
Ingredients required for making carrot stir fry or carrot mezhukkupuratty
- 3-4 medium sized carrots (sliced to fine pieces)
- 2-3 dried red chillies or 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli powder.
- 10-12 shallots ( chopped to fine pieces)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt for taste
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Coconut oil or any other cooking oil.
High quality spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of carrot stir fry or carrot mezhukkupuratty
- Wash the carrots in running water and peel off the skin. Slice the carrots in a lengthwise manner and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is heated add the mustard seeds.
- In few seconds the mustard seeds will starts to splutter, then add the shallot pieces, dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Saute it for few minutes and add a pinch of turmeric powder. Reduce the flame and saute it for few minutes.
- Add the sliced carrot pieces and mix it well with the sauteed mixture.
- Add the salt according to our requirement.
- Close the lid of the cooking pan and cook it for 10-12 minutes.
- Take off the lid and saute the mixture for further 5 minutes.
- Check the salt and add the salt according to the taste.
- Once it is ready, switch off the flame and transfer the contents to a serving vessel.