Coriander (Cilantro-Coriandrum sativum L) one of the world’s oldest spice
Coriander products – different forms -Health benefits- Nutritional values-medicinal uses
Coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) – Family (Umbelliferae) is mainly cultivated from its seeds throughout the year.Notable producing countries are India, around 3 lakh tonnes,Morocco and Russia. But it is grown in a number of countries of Europe and America. Coriander is an annual, herbaceous plant which originated from the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern regions and known as medicinal plants. It contains an essential oil (0.03 to 2.6%) (Nadeem et al., 2013). All parts of this herb are in use as flavoring agent and/or as traditional remedies for the treatment of different disorders in the folk medicine systems of different civilizations.
Coriander leaves – Coriander seeds – Coriander ground-powder – Coriander Oil
Coriander has derives its name from Greek word “kopis” meaning bugs. The plant at an immature stage,when macerated emits strong, distasteful odour associated with bugs. But when the plant matures this bad odour is lost and the ripe fruit on drying becomes the spice
The spice is the seed of a plant. The seeds are spherical and ribbed with diameter of 3 to 4 mm. The spice has a strong aroma. The leave has a pleasant flavour and are used as a fresh herbal spice.Coriander seeds are the dried berries of the coriander herb, but have little similarity in taste to fresh coriander. The seeds can be bought whole or in powdered form. Ground coriander is a component of many different spice mixtures including garam masala and harissa, It’s also good added to savoury pickles, chutneys or casseroles and can be used in cakes and other baked goodies. Crushed whole coriander seeds are delicious for flavouring homemade burgers.
Coriander oil – On steam distillation,coriander seed gives an essential oil with a yield around 1%. The spice and oils has a strong characteristic aroma with an underlying lemony note. It is rich in linalool and other oxygenated mono terpenes as well as monoterpene hydrocarbons
Coriander health benefits-medicinal uses-culinary uses-commercial role.
Coriander or cilantro is a wonderful source of dietary fiber, manganese, iron and magnesium as well. Coriander leaves are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K and protein. They also contain small amounts of calcium, phosphorous, potassium, thiamin,niacin and carotene. Here go some of the health benefits of coriander seeds and leaves:
- The fat soluble vitamin and antioxidant- Vitamin A, protects from lung and cavity cancers.
- Coriander lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
- A very good food for digestive system, coriander promotes liver functions and bowel movements.
- Coriander contains anti-inflammatory properties. This is why it is good against inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
- It’s a very good herb to promote the nervous system. It can stimulate the memory.
- It’s anti-septic properties help to cure mouth ulcer.
Kitchen Treasures Coriander Powder Buy Online – Buy Online |Coriander Powder|Spices powder|Quality spice powders|Cooking Ingredients| Buy Online from NatureLoC.com
Coriander is used in a wide variety of foods notably in meat preparations. It is also used in condiments,seasoning,baked foods,confectionery,chewing gums and in alcoholic beverages.
Coriander is used in ancient medicinal preparations. It is supposed to have vermifugal properties. In the old literature,it is mentioned that intake of coriander in honey helps to destroy worms and bring drown fever
- Spices – An overview – All about spices – Uses- Medicinal values – Health properties -Home remedies
- Return to traditional methods – Processed Spices causes adulteration,Aspects of Adulteration in spices – Turmeric, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, coriander etc
- Spices in health giving and anti disease role Spices and herbs – superfood with mythical medicinal power
Buy Organic natural Coriander Seeds,Divine Coriander Powder,Cilantro, Dhania, Kothamalli,fresh home made curry powders . Collect fresh natural spices,nuts,health powders from our No.1 On Line Store NatureLoc – is your one stop place to buy any localised spice and home remedies from nature across India.