How to make tasty Olan recipe?
Olan is one of a traditional Kerala recipe which is an essential part of an Onam Sadya menu.
Olan is generaly a less spicy recipe with a rich, creamy texture. Red gram or Black eyed beans (Vanpayar) and Ash gourd are the essential ingredients used for making this yummy recipe. Pumpkin can also be used along with ash gourd for Olan preparation. The inclusion of thick coconut milk gives a white colour and a creamy texture. The presence of coconut oil and mild spices results in a delicious taste and a unique aroma. Have a look at the detailed description about the ingredients required and the method of preparation of traditional Olan recipe.
Ingredients required for making Olan
- 1/4 cup of Red gram or Black eyed beans (Vanpayar)
- 1 cup of Ash gourd / Kumbalanga (sliced to small cubes)
- 3-4 sliced green chilies
- Water or thin coconut milk (as per the requirement)
- 1 cup of thick coconut milk
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1-2 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Salt as per the taste
Method of preparation of Olan
- Wash the Red gram or Black eyed beans (Vanpayar) in clean water and soak the beans in water for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Peel of the skin of ash gourd and chop these into small pieces. Keep it aside.
- Pressure cook the beans with some water. Once the beans are half cooked (4-5 whistles), take it out from the flame, drain the beans and keep it aside.
- In a clay pot / manchatti, cook the ash gourd pieces along with sliced green chilies, salt and sufficient quantity of water or thin coconut milk.
- Once it is cooked, add the half cooked Red gram or Black eyed beans (Vanpayar) and mix it gently.
- Add the thick coconut milk and mix it well. Do not make it to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and curry leaves.
- Add the salt as per the taste and transfer the olan to a serving bowl.
- Serve it with rice.