Thavidu Elayada or Rice Bran cakes
Thavidu Elayada or Rice Bran cakes in banana leaf is a nutritious recipe made using rice bran.
What is rice bran? Have you heard of the health benefits of rice bran? Rice bran is derived from good quality rice. It is nothing but the layer between the inner rice grain and the outer hull. As per the studies, the rice bran accounts for 60 percent of the nutritional contents in each of the rice kernels. Dark brown coloured rice bran and grated jaggery are the essential ingredients used for the preparation of Thavidu Elayada or Rice Bran cakes. The use of jaggery imparts a sweet taste. Bran cakes are kept within a folded banana leaf piece and is cooked over a hot cast iron griddle. Rice bran is considered to be a good source of fibre, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. It is also low in fat and calory content. Hence, rice bran recipes are recommended for the patients suffering from high blood cholesterol. Have a look at the ingredients required for the preparation of Bran cakes or Thavidu Elayada.
Ingredients used for making Thavidu Elayada or Rice Bran cakes
- 2 cups of rice bran
- 3/4 cup of grated jaggery
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- A pinch of salt for the taste
- Water as per the requirement
- Medium-sized square pieces of banana leaf
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (as per the requirement)
Good quality spices, dry fruits, nuts varieties, jackfruit products are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Thavidu Elayada or Rice Bran cakes
- Heat the grated jaggery in a pan along with little water. Once it melts to a dark brown coloured solution, take it away from the flame.
- When it cools, sieve the solution through a fine sieve to remove unwanted crystals if any.
- Take the rice bran in a mixing bowl, add the grated coconut and the melted jaggery solution.
- Add some salt for the taste and mix it well.
- Also sprinkle some water and mix the contents to form a dough-like consistency.
- Take out a banana leaf and cut it into square shaped pieces.
- Apply some oil on to the square shaped banana leaf piece and place two tablespoons of the prepared rice bran mixture.
- Now, apply some oil on your hand and spread the dough to form a thin layered circular shape.
- Fold the banana leaf in the middle.
- Heat a cast iron griddle and grease it with some coconut oil.
- Place the folded banana leaf piece on the griddle and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip it with a flat spoon and cook the other side for three to four minutes.
- Once it is cooked, take it away to a serving plate
- Thavidu Elayada or Bran cakes is ready and serve it hot.