How To Eat Chia Seeds: 7 Ways To Include Chia Seeds In Your Daily Diet
How To Eat Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are considered to be a special ingredient that you get in any health stores. Today it has become one of the popular superfoods which are easily available and used in almost everything. Ranging from cereals and yogurt and even to energy bars and drinks. Chia seeds are harvested from a flowering plant that belongs to the mint family and is called Salvia Hispanica. The good quality seeds are naturally white or black in colour.
Nutrient Rich: How To Eat Chia Seeds
These tiny black seeds are loaded with fiber, protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and various other macronutrients, which prevents the storage of undesirable fats that can cause heart disease and stroke. Rich in fiber, chia seeds are absorbed slowly which keeps you full for longer time. The mucilaginous which is a gum like fiber present in the sprouted seeds promotes bowel regularity and helps stabilize blood sugar levels. Chia seeds are also naturally gluten-free and rich in calcium, phosphorus and magnesium making them a great dairy alternative for people following a vegan diet.
7 Ways To Include Chia Seeds – How To Eat Chia Seeds
You can easily add soaked chia seeds to yogurt, cereal, and muffin recipes, or even scatter them on your daily salad. Chia sprouts can be used in the same way, try adding them to soups or stews as a natural thickening agent. These seeds also add flavor and nutrition to baked goods, such as bread, muffins and homemade crackers.
Chia seeds can be eaten as whole or in milled form. Whole chia seeds can be blended in smoothies, juices or soups. Few people prefer the powder texture as it easily get mixed well in whole wheat flour. Eat 1-2 tsps of chia seeds on a daily basis to derive its healthy benefits. Milled chia seeds can be mixed with flours like whole wheat flour or besan for making chapattis. Whole chia seeds can be soaked and added to your smoothies, cold soups and yogurt.
Given below are the 7 Ways To Include Chia Seeds In Your Daily Diet – How To Eat Chia Seeds
If you like puddings, then the healthiest way is to add some chia seeds to it. By adding chia seeds, your pudding gets a thicker mixture. Top up the pudding with milk, yogurt or even cocoa. You can even add fresh fruits and crunchy nuts like almonds, cashews etc. If you don’t like seeds in the pudding, you can blend chia seeds with the other ingredients to get a creamy consistency.
Chia Pudding Recipe
- Chia Seeds – 6 tbsp
- Coconut Milk, Unsweetened – 2 cups
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Honey (Optional) – 1 tbsp
- few nuts like cashews, almonds for topping.
- In a bowl, add chia seeds, coconut milk, honey and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Once the mixture is combined properly, set it aside for 5 mins.
- If there are clumps of chia seeds, then shake well. Cover the mixture and refrigerate it for 2 hrs or overnight.
- The chia seeds pudding should be thick and not liquid type. Add more chia seeds, mix it well and refrigerate it for another 30 mins, if its not think enough.
- You can also prep you pudding the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight if that’s easier. Serve it with nuts topped.
If you are a smoothie lover, you can add few chia seeds for giving it a nutritious twist. Be it your favorite mango smoothie, or a cold banana smoothie, anything can be added with the chia seeds.
Chia Seeds in Cake
Want to bake a cake at home using chia seeds? Follow the instructions given below:
- Yogurt – 2 cups
- Chia Seeds – 2 tbsp
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3 no.
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Add the yogurt, chia seeds in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar, using a electric mixer on high speed, until it turns soft for about 4 mins.
- Mix the vanilla extract and later add the eggs, while constantly stirring.
- Reduce the speed to low, and now add the dry ingredients in 3 batches, and 2 batches of chia and yogurt mixture.
- Bake the mixture in oven for about 20 mins until the cake comes out clean.
Chia Seeds in Oatmeal
If you are looking for a healthy breakfast recipe, add some chia seeds to a bowl of oats with milk or coconut milk.
Chia Seeds in Yogurt
Chia seeds are great as a topping. If you like to add some crunch to your bowl of yogurt, sprinkle two teaspoons of these seeds.
Chia Seeds in Tea
If you are not in the mood to add them in your meal, try them in your cup of tea. While preparing the tea, add one teaspoon of chia seeds and let it rest for a minute or two till they are well-soaked.
Chia Seeds in Lemonades
Chia seeds in lemonades? Well yes, chia seeds in your homemade lemonade can add a nice texture to the beverage.