Celery seed-mainly for therapeutic uses
Botanical Name: Apium graveolens
Celery seed is a spice known to the ancient world.Its medicinal property is reported in Homer’s Odyssey written in the 7th century BC.The plant is closely related to carrot and parsley.The seeds are bitter and therefore in the olden days it was used mainly for therapeutic uses.
It is the dried seeds of a perennial herbaceous plant.Seeds are very small and dark brown in color.It is different from the vegetable herb of the same name which is popular in Western cooking especially for soups and salads.India is the main producing area for celery seed,with large bulk being cultivated in the states of Punjab.
Dried seeds give an oil with a yield of 1 to 2.5%.The main constituent of the oil is selinene,which is a dicyclic sesquiterpene. In fact the quality of the oil is measured in terms of selinene content ,out of which major portion is beta selinene and small portion alpha selinene. Along with this,there are other high boilers which all put together make a top quality oil.
Celery also gives an oleoresin,which is very high in fatty oils.Oleoresin also contains the bitter constituent,phthalide,which are important in the overall quality.
Take the seeds history
Celery is known to be originated from the Mediterranean basin. Ancient studies shows that celery was cultivated for medicinal purposes before 850 BC. The seeds claimed medicinal purposes contribute to its volatile oils, contained in all portions, but mostly the seed.Woven garlands of wild celery are found in early Egyptian tombs.
Health benefits of Celery seed
- During ancient times Ayurvedic physicians made use of celery seed to treat colds, flu, water retention, poor digestion, various types of arthritis, and liver and spleen ailments.
- Aroma of the oil can be termed as warm and spicy and is very much liked in a number of food products.The spice and extractive find use in meat and vegetable preparations.It is also used in beverages,confections,baked goods and soups.
- One of the most important benefits of celery seeds is its ability to fight against cancer or prevent cancer.The Celery seeds contains certain useful and active compounds like polyacetylenes and phthalides to prevent cancer.
- Celery seeds helps in controlling the blood pressure levels. Having celery seeds everyday helps in promoting good and safe blood pressure levels.
- Celery seeds balances the harmful effect that can happen on the liver.
- Celery seeds are antibiotic as well as antiseptic . These properties are essential in curing various infections in the body. Celery seeds are greatly useful in curing infections in the urinary tract. Herbal experts have suggested that having Celery seeds can be used to treat kidney troubles and cystitis.
- As Celery seeds are diuretic in nature they are taken by people having kidney stones,gout,as well as water retention. Celery seeds do not allow extra accumulation of uric acid and fluids in the human body
- Celery seeds can stimulate the uterus and helps in easing muscle spasms, especially to the female reproductive system. Celery seeds are helpful in easing menstrual cramps and pains.
- Celery seeds are known to have anti inflammatory agents. Celery seeds helps in treating body pain and inflammation of the joints,leg pain etc…. The best use and the most good use of Celery seeds is that its ability in curing inflammation related ailments such as gout,arthritis and all.
- Celery seeds have many nutrients and active compounds such as flavonoids, linoleic acid, coumarins and several volatile oils. These compounds in celery seeds are helpful in curing many diseases.
- Celery seeds has the ability to reduce the cholesterol level. The cholesterol blocks the arteries which can cause heart problems. Herbal experts often use celery seeds to cure circulatory system problems.