Chilled Naruneendi / Nannari Sarbath
Nannari Sarbath is a pleasant and refreshing beverage, popular among different parts of Kerala.
During the summer season, when the sun is scorching down with no sign of respite, we would love to have a cold and refreshing thirst quencher. Nannari Sarbath is one such traditional herbal drink with no added preservatives or artificial ingredients. This drink is made with the ingredients like lemon juice, cold water and a syrup prepared from the roots of a medicinal herb called Nannari. This herb is an excellent diuretic and a body coolant that prevents the sunstroke’s. It’s also known for its blood purifying properties. Nannati Sarbath has a light brown texture and a delicious taste. Have a look at the preparation of Nannari Sarbath.
Ingredients used for the preparation of Naruneendi / Nannari syrup
- 500gms or ½ cup of Nannari root / Naruneendi / Indian Sarsaparilla
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2½ cup of water
- 2 teaspoon of lemon juice
Method of preparation of Naruneendi / Nannari syrup
- Take 500gms of Nannari roots. Wash it 2-3 times in clean water, remove all the clay particles from the root.
- Dry it in sunlight to remove all the moisture.
- Make use of mortar and pestle to crush the roots 1-2 times so that it breaks into 2-3 pieces. Take the brown part in a bowl and remove the white part.
- Using a mixer, pulse the brown part 1-2 times so that the roots break up again into small pieces.
- Heat some water in a pan, once the bubbles arise, take it off from the flame and add the roots pieces. Close it with a lid and keep it overnight for 6-7 hours.
- Strain the solution with a double folded muslin cloth. Now add the sugar and mix it well.
- Heat the solution to a string consistency and switch off the flame.
- The solution will be of honey consistency and add the lemon juice. In a clean container, refrigerate it and use it for making Nannari Sarbath.
Top quality Nannari root / Naruneendi / Indian Sarsaparilla etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Ingredients for Nannari Sarbath
- 1 cup of water
- 3-4 tablespoon of Nannari syrup
- 3-4 ice cubes
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
Method of preparation of Nannari Sarbath
- Take a serving glass and add 3 tablespoon of Nannari syrup.
- Add the ice cubes and 1 cup of water.
- Now, add the lemon juice and mix it with a spoon.
- Serve it cold as a refresher.