Delicious Vegetable stew
Vegetable stew is a delicious dish made with a combination of vegetables. This recipe goes well with many of the breakfast dishes.
Vegetable stew is an easy recipe which can be served as a side dish for appam, idiyappam, chapati, puri, bread or rice. The presence of different vegetable varieties makes it a healthy and nutritious dish. Potatoes, beans, carrots, peas etc are the essential ingredients used in this recipe. Unlike many other vegetable dishes, vegetable stew uses green chillies, black pepper and ginger for a spicy taste. The use of coconut milk imparts a delicate taste. We can use several vegetable combinations for making this dish. The use of curry leaves adds up the taste and aroma. Let’s have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Vegetable stew.
Ingredients required to make vegetable stew
- 1-2 medium sized carrot, (peeled and chopped to pieces)
- 1-2 medium sized potato (peeled and chopped to pieces)
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 8-10 beans (sliced in lengthwise pieces)
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1 medium sliced onion (sliced to small pieces)
- 4-5 green chillies (sliced to small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon of finely sliced ginger
- 1 teaspoon of garlic cloves
- 2 -3 cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 1/4 piece of a cinnamon roll
- 2-3 cloves
- 1½ cup of light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Salt as per the taste
- 2 tablespoon of coconut oil
Method of preparation of Vegetable stew
- Wash the vegetables in running water, peel off the skin and slice them into uniform small pieces.
- Half cook the green peas in a pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- Also, half cook the sliced vegetable pieces and keep it aside for later use.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced onion pieces.
- Reduce the heat to a low- medium flame and saute the onions to a light brown colour.
- Once it attains a light brown colour, add the spices like cinnamon, cloves and crushed cardamom.
- Also, add the curry leaves, green chillies, pepper powder, sliced ginger and garlic pieces. Saute it for few minutes.
- Now, add the half cooked vegetables and saute them well.
- Slowly add the light coconut milk and the salt. Heat the contents in a medium flame and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the flame and cover the lid of the of the pan until the vegetables are cooked to a to a soft state.
- Once it is cooked, add the thick coconut milk and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- When the stew is ready, take it out from the flame and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with any of the dishes like appam, chapati, idiyappam, puri, bread or rice.