Dried Prawns Tomato Curry (Unnakka Chemmeen Thakkali Curry) Recipe
Unnakka Chemmeen Thakkali Curry
Dried Prawns (Unakka Chemmeen) are Shrimp that have been sun-dried and shrunk to a thumbnail size. They are used in many Asian cuisines, imparting a unique umami taste. A handful of shrimp is generally used for dishes.Used in curries ,soup’s and various indian recipies. It is also considered as best aquarium fish food.
Dried Shrimp or Prawns are commonly used in Kerala for making different curries and chutneys (chammanthi) like Chemeenum Manga Curry, Chemmeen Chammanthi, Chemmeen Podi, Chemmeen Fry etc.
Dried Prawns Recipe
- 1/2 cup – Dried Prawns
- 1 cup – Grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp – Coriander Powder
- 1 Medium – Onion
- 2 tsp – Chilly Powder
- Two Medium – Tomato
- 2 – Green Chillies
- 1 tsp – Ginger Paste
- 2 tbsp – Oil
- Salt & Water – As needed
- For Seasoning –
- 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
- 4 – Sliced Shallots
- Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- Remove the head and tail of the dried prawns/shrimps.
- Wash the dried prawns properly.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Add the dried shrimps and fry lightly till it starts to change color.
- Reduce heat and add the grated coconut and fry for a few mins till it becomes brown.
- Switch off the flame and add 2 tbsp coriander powder and 1 tsp chilly powder and roast it.
- Grind the above roasted ingredients into a fine paste, along with some salt . Add water as required, for grinding it into a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Add onions and saute till golden.
- Tomatoes, green chillies and curry leaves added and sauted till the tomatoes are cooked and mashed.
- Add 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp chilly powder and stir for a minute.
- Next add the grated coconut and shrimp paste and cook on medium flame for around 5-8 mins. Add more salt and water if needed.
- Season the curry with mustard seeds, shallots and curry leaves.
- Serve along with rice.