How to make Aloo Paratha?
Aloo Paratha is one of a breakfast recipe that is popular in the western, central and northern regions of India as well as in Pakistan.
Parathas are nothing but a whole wheat flatbread. They can be made as a plain dish or stuffed with variety of different fillings. Some of the different varieties of parathas are aloo paratha, gobi paratha, mooli paratha, lachedar paratha, methi paratha and paneer paratha. Aloo paratha is a paratha dish stuffed with a spiced mixture of mashed potato. Typically, Aloo paratha is served with butter, chutney, curd and pickles. Green chillies and red chilli powder is used for a spicy flavour. Mashed potato mixture can be made as per your taste. The use of garam masala in mashed potato stuffings imparts a real flavour. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Aloo Paratha.
Ingredients for making the dough
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 teaspoon of oil
Method of preparation of dough
- Take 1 cup of whole wheat flour in a wide mixing bowl.
- Add some salt and oil, slowly pour the water and mix it thoroughly to form a soft, smooth and pliable dough.
- Apply some on your hands and knead the dough well.
- Cover the dough and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes. Make the dough as similar to that of a roti dough.
Ingredients for making the potato fillings
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 1 finely chopped green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds/jeera/jeerakam
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro or coriander leaves (Malliyila)
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 finely chopped onion
Method of preparation of potato stuffing
- Boil the medium sized potatoes with some water.
- Once they become tender, switch off the flame and take away the potatoes from the water. Keep it aside, let the potatoes cool down.
- When it is cold enough, peel off its skin and mash them.
- Also, add the green chillies, cumin seeds/jeera, garam masala, coriander leaves and salt. Mix it well and keep it aside.
Good quality spices, dry fruits, nuts varieties, jackfruit products etc are available for sale on natureloc.com
Preparation of Aloo paratha
- Take out some portion from the dough and roll it to form medium sized balls.
- Also, take out some portion from the mashed potato mixture and roll it in the shape of balls. Mashed potato balls should be bigger than that of wheat dough balls.
- Roll the dough ball into a small circular-shape with higher thickness. Place one mashed potato ball on the centre.
- Pull the edges of the dough to wrap it around the potato filling. Keep it aside for 4-5 minutes.
- Dip the stuffed dough balls in dry wheat flour. Slightly dust the rolling platform with some dry wheat flour. Roll dough ball to form a circular roti shaped flatbread.
- Heat an iron tawa or dosa pan on a medium flame. Check whether the pan is hot by sprinkling some water on it, if the water sizzles right away, the pan is ready.
- Place the paratha on the tawa and lightly press the puffed areas. Flip it over and cook the other side.
- Drizzle one or two teaspoons of oil over the paratha, flip it again and once the paratha is ready, take it away from the flame.
- Serve it hot with butter, chutney, curd and pickles.