How to make Butter Chicken?
Butter Chicken Recipe
Butter Chicken is one of a unique contribution from Indian cuisine which is now available in restaurants around the globe. What is it about this recipe that makes it appealing across different cultures? What’s the reason behind its popularity? Let’s have a look at this famous recipe.
Butter chicken or Punjabi Murgh Makhani is a delicious dish which goes well with Butter Nan or Kulcha. Kids love this recipe as it is less spicy with a slightly sweet flavour, different from the usual hot and spicy South Indian chicken curry. The use of tomatoes, yogurt and the freshly prepared Kasuri Methi gives away a distinct flavour. Natural sweet flavour from the tomatoes along with the tangy yogurt marinated chicken pieces plays a key role in maintaining a delicate taste. The presence of cashew or badam milk imparts a creamy base which adds up the thickness of the gravy. Utmost attention should be given to the part where we cook the chicken pieces on the grill, so that it doesn’t get overcooked in the gravy. Have a look at the detailed list of ingredients used and the method of preparation of this famous Butter Chicken recipe.
Ingredients for first marination
- ½ kg of Chicken
- ¾ tablespoon of fresh Lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon of Salt
- ½ teaspoon of Red Chilli powder
Ingredients for second marination
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon of freshly powdered Kasuri Methi
- ¾ teaspoon of Garam masala powder
- ¾ tablespoon of Oil
- ½ cup of thick Curd
- 1 tablespoon of Ginger Garlic paste
Ingredients for cooking
- 1 teaspoon of Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon of Butter
- 1 medium sized piece of Cinnamon stick
- 1-2 Green chillies (slit to two pieces)
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom
- A pinch of Methi powder
- 4-5 medium sized Tomatoes
- 8-10 Cashew Nuts or Almonds
- ¾ teaspoon of Garam masala powder
- ½ tablespoon of crushed or powdered Kasuri Methi
- A pinch of Sugar
- Salt for the taste
- 100ml of chilled cream
- Coriander leaves for garnishing (Optional)
Method of preparation of Butter Chicken
- Wash the tomatoes and puree it in a blender, filter it to remove the skin and the seeds. Keep it aside.
- Clean and wash the chicken pieces under the running water, marinate it with the ingredients like lemon juice, chilli powder and the salt as mentioned in the first marination. Keep it for 20 minutes.
- Marinate the chicken pieces again with the ingredients like yogurt, oil, kasuri methi, turmeric, ginger garlic paste and garam masala as mentioned in the second marination. Refrigerate it for 3-4 hours or keep it for overnight.
- Now, grill the marinated chicken pieces in an oven or in a pan. If you are using a pan for grilling, heat one teaspoon of butter and add the marinated chicken pieces. Use a high and fry it till the moisture gets removed through evaporation. Constantly stir the mixture, as it would prevent burning. Once it is cooked, transfer it to plate and keep it aside.
- Heat the pan again and add some butter, add the spices like cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Saute it for few minutes and add the ginger garlic paste, green chillies and fry it the raw smell disappears.
- Now, add the tomato puree, red chilli powder and the salt. Mix it well and cook it till the tomato puree attains some thickness and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Slowly pour 1 cup of water and add the methi powder, almond milk or paste. Water should be added to suit your consistency.
- Heat it to a boil and simmer it for 4-5 minutes. Now you can add the garam masala and the Kasuri methi or you can add them at the end.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces and simmer it for 6-7 minutes.
- Once it becomes soft and tender (add the garam masala and kasuri methi if you havn’t added them before), add the cream as per the taste and turn off the flame.
- Serve this delicious butter chicken recipe as a side dish for jeera rice, ghee rice, plain biryani, pulao, paratha, chapathi (roti), naan and phulka.