How to make Chakka puttu or Jackfruit puttu?
Jackfruit puttu or Chakka puttu is one of the traditional recipes from Kerala. Sliced pieces of jackfruit are used for making this recipe.
The sweet taste is due to the addition of jackfruit. Raw rice powder is an essential ingredient for making this recipe. Grated coconut is also used to have a unique taste. One should know how to make puttu mixture with raw rice powder in order to make this delicious recipe. Making raw rice (powder) puttu mixture greatley depends on the amount of water used. Sliced pieces of jackfruit is added to the mixture made of raw rice powder and water. Grated cocont is sprinkled over the mixture.
Ingredients for making the Chakka puttu or Jachfruit puttu
- 1/2 cup of sliced jackfruit
- 1 cup of raw rice powder
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- Water (according to our requirement)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Sugar (Optional)
Method of preparation
- Add warm water to the raw rice powder. Mix it so that the powder becomes wet. Also add a pinch of salt. Should not add more water than required.
- You can check whether the amount of water is right, just take some mixture in your hand and press it with the palm. If the mixture holds together and breaks in an instant, yo can be sure that the amount of water added is right.
- If mixture doesn’t hold together and breaks at the same time you can sprinkle more water until it reaches the specified state
- Add some sugar with 1/4 portion of grated coconut to have a sweet mixture.
- In the puttu maker ( a cylindrical or oval shaped vessel to add the rice mixture) add the grated coconut as the first component.
- Above the grated coconut add the moist rice. Add this up to half of the vessel.
- Add some sliced jackfruit pieces. Fill the remaining portion with the moist rice mixture.
- At the top add a thin layer of sweet grated coconut.
- Close the lid of the vessel and steam it for 6 – 8 minutes.
- Once it is cooked transfer the dish to a serving plate.