How to make spicy egg curry (Mutta curry)?
Egg curry or Mutta curry is a well known spicy recipe used as a side dish for Kerala’s breakfast dishes like appam, idiyappam and puttu.
Traditional egg curry preparation takes an average time of about 20 -25 minutes. It can be prepared with the addition of grated coconut milk or without the addition of grated coconut milk. Tomatoes can be added to have a delicate taste. As per our requirement we can vary the spice levels and consistency of the curry. It can also be used as a side dish for chapatis. The presence of sauteed onion, tomatoes and curry leaves gives a unique taste. Boiled and de-shelled eggs are added only after the preparation of gravy.
Ingredients for making Egg curry or Mutta curry
- 4 or 5 eggs
- 1 thinly sliced large onion.
- 1 finely chopped medium tomato
- 3 pods of finely chopped garlic
- 1/2-inch small piece of ginger
- 4 sliced green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves.
- 1 cup of grated coconut.
- Few coriander leaves (Optional)
- Salt (According to your requirement)
Good quality spices are available for sale on natureloc.com
Method of preparation
- Heat some water in a pan and add the eggs for boiling.
- Once the eggs are boiled, take it out and keep it for cooling.
- De-shell the eggs and keep it aside.
- Grind the coconut with little water to a form smooth paste.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds start’s spluttering add the finely sliced onions, chopped green chillies, garlic, grated ginger and curry leaves.
- Saute the onion in a low flame till it gets translucent.
- Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and heat it few minutes in a low flame.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix it well and close the lid. Cook it for few minutes.
- Pour in the grinded coconut paste and cover the lid so that the gravy attains some thickness.
- Add the boiled eggs and mix it well with the masala. Close the pan and boil it for a few minutes.
- Garnish it with sliced onions. Take out from the flame and it’s ready for serving.